Fire Hazard Help

bodyartpros

I have a situation whereby I lease a building for my primary business and utilize the parking lot as a firewood lot for sales and seasoning. My land lord is having problems renewing his structure insurance because of a perceived fire hazard and I am posed with the problem.

Fire hazard insurance insures the homeowners against unexpected losses of real and personal property. According to the insurance institute it offers two exact forms of coverage. First part of the policy covers the structure part of your home and the other half of that covers your possessions as well as this includes everything you own. Make your landlord aware about its advantages or the process.

You can do the fire risk assessment yourself with the help of standard fire safety risk assessment guides.

If you don’t have the expertise or time to do the fire risk assessment yourself you need to appoint a ‘competent person’ to help, eg a professional risk assessor.

Your local fire and rescue authority might be able to give you advice if you’re not sure your risk assessment’s been carried out properly. However, they can’t carry out risk assessments for you.

Unfortunately, this is more a landlord/tenant issue than an insurance issue.

If the tenant is conducting activities that affect the landlord's ability to get proper insurance, it could constitute a breach of the lease and result in termination of the tenancy if the tenant doesn't cease the activity.

Back