Reasons Why A Client Should Use You Instead of Purchasing Directly Trough the Company

The internet has made shopping for insurance easier. Instead of driving around town to meet with an agent, you can compare rates, benefits, and apply online. Some insurance companies even let you apply right from their website.
Does it still make sense to have an agent help you choose a plan? You bet.
Agents are insurance experts. It’s their job to help you shop plans from leading carriers so you can be confident you’ve found the best rates and benefits for you.
4 Reasons To Work With An Insurance Agent
When you consider all the benefits, working with an agent just makes good sense.
  1. Agents guide you through the process. Buying an insurance policy can be complicated. An agent walks you through each step of the process and helps you make sense of all the “insurance-speak”.
  2. Agents offer you choice. Your agent has a portfolio of plans to choose from, often from multiple companies. Your agent will know which policy will protect you the best. They’ll even know which company is most likely to accept your application.
  3. Agents troubleshoot mistakes. A mistake on your application can cause a company to raise your rates or even reject your application. Your agent will help you fill out your application correctly so you get the rates you deserve.
  4. It’s free. This is the best part about getting insurance through an agent. Agents collect payment from the companies they represent. So you get all the advice you want — absolutely free.

Re: Reasons Why A Client Should Use You Istead of Purchasing Directly Trough the Comp

These are only benefits if the consumer perceives that they are.

Many have fled to the internet as a way to avoid unscrupulous/bad agents.

BTW, nothing is "FREE". The agent compensation is built in to the premiums. The savvy consumer knows this, and doesn't want their intelligence insulted.

Re: Reasons Why A Client Should Use You Istead of Purchasing Directly Trough the Comp

My clients like the ongoing support I offer and it seems they perceive that as valuable.

Lets not forget the agent recommending the plan that pays them the highest commission, that is a huge benefit to the consumer as well.

LOL

The biggest benefit in my opinion is UNDERWRITING a GOOD seasoned Individual Only agent should know 3 or more companies condition underwriting like the back of their hand.

Take High Blood Pressure in Texas...

Company #1 - Decline
Company #2 - Waiver
Company #3 - Rate up 25 to 50%
Company #4 - Rate up or condition waiver

The percentage of agents that truly know underwriting is far less than those who think they know underwriting.

I do not blame the agents though - the companies provide what amounts to essentially no training.

Last edited:

The savvy consumer knows this, and doesn't want their intelligence insulted.

What an oxymoron.

Not in all cases, but just because a consumer perceives themselves as savvy, doesn't make it so.

Ignorance is NOT knowing, what you don't know, and many consumers don't know jackxxxt, but only think they do. Especially on widely misunderstood topics, such as insurance.

Ignorance is NOT knowing, what you don't know, and many consumers don't know jackxxxt, but only think they do. Especially on widely misunderstood topics, such as insurance.

Correct.

Like the caller that says "I know Insurance I used to do medical coding and billing..."

Sure you do... LOL...

It is of course best to educate them without insulting their intelligence. A lot of agents do not understand how complicated the system is and it is truly confusing for the consumer. Deductibles, co pays, it is a mess...

Yes, most do. How would you define "ongoing support"?

I act like a bra.

Monthly newsletters, updates on premium decreases, premium increases, new features, plan designs, etc.

Back