$24.7 Trillion in Retirement Plans

Charpress

Guru
1000 Post Club
I read an article today that points out that the total assets in retirement plans in the U.S. is $24.7 trillion as of December 31. Sounds good, but -here's the breakdown:

$7.4 trillion was in IRAs. Of those accounts, about half were in mutual funds. Contribution plans held $6.8 trillion with $4.6 trillion in 401(k)s. $951 billion was in 403(b) plans. Over half of DC plans were in mutual funds. There was $5.2 trillion in government defined benefit plans, including federal, state and local government plans.

The numbers represent a 6% rise over the prior year, which was the biggest increase in a long time.

Then the scary part occurred to me. The national debt is now over $18 trillion. That is basically a doubling in 6 years compare to the modest rises in retirement accounts. How soon will it be before the national debt exceeds all of the combined retirement assets of every U.S. citizen? An awful lot of those retirement accounts, about half, are in mutual funds, which would help explain the rise last year. What happens to the value of those funds in another correction?

And what about the unfunded obligations? Those are around $95 trillion. U.S. total personal debt is up 113% from 2000 to a current balance of $16.8 trillion.

The current best thinking on seminars and selling to the retirement crowd is to avoid the gloom and doom since they are tired of hearing and worrying about it. But still, this debt scenario is a downright horrible nightmare and the current administration seems really down with it.

No one wants to talk about unfunded liability, or the SS Trust Fund, or the Medicare Trust Fund.

Stick your head in the sand if you want but that won't make it go away.

An awful lot of those retirement accounts, about half, are in mutual funds, which would help explain the rise last year. What happens to the value of those funds in another correction?

Another fairly large percentage in IRA's are individual stocks, adding further value to the question you posed.

You also have the regulators to think about.

One of the things the regulators consider when deciding whether your seminar is in violation of various and sundry "guidelines" is whether you use "scare tactics" to motivate people to work with you.

This is also something that the AARP spies at your seminar are told to look for.

One of the top red-flag scare tactics is to discuss how the FDIC has just a couple of pennies to back each dollar of guarantees. Personally, I don't talk about that since the amount in reserves is irrelevant IMHO. If I do talk about it, I talk about the benefits of FDIC.

However, talking about unfunded liabilities, tremendous debt, stock market volatility -in short all the stuff people should be talking about, can get you in trouble. These are "scare tactics". I just avoid these topics since I figure the folks in the audience have heard this over and over. As I said before, people want to hear some good news.

People are already disturbed and want empathy and solutions. That's why they attend seminars and listen to financial professionals.

You don't have to disturb (scare) them more.

People are already disturbed and want empathy and solutions. That's why they attend seminars and listen to financial professionals.

You don't have to disturb (scare) them more.

Yes, I agree. I think people shut down mentally when you go that route and they start wondering how soon they can leave.

Back