Fees of the 401k

Lol. That's actually how my wife an I invest. If we like and use the products then we grab the stock. If anyone has a better system let me know. It certainly isn't the stock analyists!

john_petrowski said:
Lol. That's actually how my wife an I invest. If we like and use the products then we grab the stock. If anyone has a better system let me know. It certainly isn't the stock analyists!

LOL, what was that guy's name the brought Remington and did all those commercials about loving the product so much he just had to buy the company? Those were great commercials, I even brought a Remington shaver, hated it but I brought one!

We like Campbells products - especially Pepperidge Farm cookies! We've had $50 lousy bucks a month go into direct purchases over the past 10 years since we've been married. Right now it's worth just under $10,000 for a 42% gain. The nice power is reinvesting the dividends. So we laugh as we watch the market programs on TV as everyone scambles to catch the next tidal wave company. In the mean time we're investing in tomato soup and up 42%.

"Pump and dump" is touted by an industry that lives off trade fees. Just don't buy into it.

Per John Petrowski on page No. 2:

There's no income if you re-invest the dividends. The re-invested dividends simply purchase more shares which is not a taxable event.

I am sorry, but any dividend from stock is taxable.

From investopedia:

Taxation
Another misconception about DRIPs is that they are not subject to tax because the investor is not receiving a cash dividend per se. In fact, while DRIPs are beneficial for their cost-effective approach to investing, they are still subject to tax. Because there was an actual cash dividend, although reinvested, it is considered to be income and thus taxable. And, as with any stock, capital gains from shares held in a DRIP are not calculated and taxed until the stock is finally sold, usually several years down the road.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/02/011602.asp

Per John Petrowski, Page No. 3:

"Lol. That's actually how my wife an I invest. If we like and use the products then we grab the stock. If anyone has a better system let me know. It certainly isn't the stock analyists!"

John, you should try to see if you can buy a book by Peter Lynch, a former manager of Fidelity Magellan. He invested the same way, and his book describes it. No doubt the book is no longer in print. But if that is part of your basis for stock selection, you would probably really enjoy the book.

I recall he told of being at a mall and noticing Leggs pantyhose being sold in a plastic egg shell. Liked the idea and explored it further. At the time he was managing Magellan, it had a great return for its shareholders.

Back