Hawaii Best State for Retirees in 2014?

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Despite having the highest cost of living of any state, Hawaii still came out on top in MoneyRates.com’s 50-state rankings (complete story at the link below). No. 2 & 3? Iowa and Idaho. Worst state for retirement? Alaska, followed by Louisiana.

All right, throw the study’s five “metrics” out the window (senior population, economy, crime, weather, life expectancy at age 65). What do you think is the best state for retirees and why? Worst state?

I might opt for the golf and climate in South Carolina.

Insurance Forums | Hawaii best state for retirees in 2014, MoneyRates.com says

I would agree Hawaii, would be the best place to retire if there were ample money to spend in retirement. It is a beautiful place on the right islands.

Idaho is a beautiful place too. Montana as well. WA and OR are both nice. I guess the only thing throwing me is senior population. While living near medical care in your senior years is important, I don't know if living in a larger population of seniors or anyone in general is really something all of us desire. Away from Portland one attractive feature about OR is that they have lots of small towns near services. You can be in country 5 miles away from their major cities.

Honestly the best place to retire would be near my kids and grandchildren. If I am close to them, I can put up with a lot.

Florida still takes it (for me anyway).

Great weather, no State income tax, fairly low cost of living (outside of Miami), great airports, etc etc.

Back