Help: Insurance Only Getting 65

perk44

I have been an insurance only producer for nearly 16 years. Selling Medicare supplements, final expense, long term care and annuities. I plan on getting my 65 very soon. I understand the difficulty of setting up your own RIA. At this time I have no desire to do so. I would like to be an IAR under a RIA. Do any of you have a recommendation on a RIA? I'm looking for a place that has experience in working with someone coming from an insurance only background.

Thanks in advance

There are a few that specialize in this area.

1. POM Planning / Horter Investment Management

2. FAN Advisors

3. Redhawk Wealth Advisors

I think FAN Advisors would have the lowest fees to the IAR than anyone else. I think it's a $50/month technology fee, an annual fee of $95 + state registration fee... and that's it. Their E&O is on the firm level, so you don't have to purchase E&O.

I'm not contracted or registered with any of these three, but they are whom I'm checking out and I'm leaning more towards FAN Advisors.

Thank you. I will check all of these out.

I would not recommend Horter. I've been to his "training" and never go to an RIA that charges 2% for their "strategies". Active investment management is the pitch and is definitely not the approach for someone that doesn't even understand call options. Stick to an RIA that has a good basic investment approach with LOW FEES.

I don't know enough about Horter... but generally there are two parts of AUM fees: advisor relationship compensation & money manager fees. I look for active (tactical) management bundled about 2%.

When compared to most mutual fund expenses (about 1.25%, but no discretionary authority and must invest according to the prospectus) and variable annuities (about 3-3.5% and stuck with portfolio models)... I think 2% is quite reasonable.

But that's my opinion.

if you are near 65 now an IRA is nearly useless.
If you have a pile of cash, you might look at an annuity??????

We're talking about investment licensing:

RIA = Registered Investment Advisor (Firm)
IAR = Investment Advisor Representative (individual)

Not
IRA = Individual Retirement Accounts

Brookstone capital management is very insurance friendly. I would definitely recommend them.

Global financial is very insurance friendly and and has some excellent training.

I don't know enough about Horter... but generally there are two parts of AUM fees: advisor relationship compensation & money manager fees. I look for active (tactical) management bundled about 2%.

When compared to most mutual fund expenses (about 1.25%, but no discretionary authority and must invest according to the prospectus) and variable annuities (about 3-3.5% and stuck with portfolio models)... I think 2% is quite reasonable.

But that's my opinion.

Don't get lost in the tactical management sales pitch. Those tactical RIA clients (ie Horter) have a lot of mad clients.

Compared to what?

I was first introduced to tactical & strategic asset management through AssetMark - before it was sold to Genworth and now it's AssetMark again. While you cannot guarantee principal, the risk-based approach is good.

True, you don't get the higher highs... but you have more of a protection from the downside, without guaranteeing it.

Now Horter, says that you CAN have the highest highs while having no downside losses. I think they're using some leveraged strategies, but I wouldn't really know.

But I'd rather see steady gains with reasonable downside risk strategies... than wild swings and losing portfolio values and the time to recoup the losses.

Anything else you want to add regarding Horter specifically? Or are you talking about all tactical asset management?

Back