No COLA for SS in 2011!

why should he or ANY President try to fix it? Just to get crapped on by half by the people out there. Obama is just dumping it on future generations the way that every President before him did. that's the formula for getting re-elected.

Raising the COLA would only raise the deficit, raising the ire of the Republicans, the Tea party and a bunch of other voters. I'm not sure that some of the seniors would even appreciate anything that Obama might do for them because they can't see past the color of his skin. I agree with you that the seniors are going through some hard times now with the effects of REAL inflation (not artificially made CPI), very low interest rates on their CDs and diminishing MA benefits. I don't think that there's much political benefit for Obama to tackle the COLA. Some would probably give the credit to the Republicans no matter what Obama does for them. There was a good article that I read today from Paul Begala that the Fed should defund Kentucky, which receives 115% more than the tax $$ that it gives the Fed. Those ppl from that State whine the most about how Gov't spending is out of control. Well, the Fed should start taking that pork $$ back from those ppl and use it to pay off the debt and cut spending too.

You do realize that because the US runs a deficit, that means the Government spends more than it receives in tax revenue from all 57 states.

Also well you post Fed I'm assuming you mean the Federal Government...Though when people post Fed I also think Federal Reserve two totaly different things.

I think an argument can be made that if there is no COLA for SS, then there should be no increase in Medicare deductibles for that year. It should be closely tied.

The current problem however, is the formula and basis for determining COLA for SS is tied to the CPI, but Medicare deductibles just keep going up with increases in only one category of the CPI... and that is health care costs.

There is a "hold harmless" provision in the law that prohibits the Part B Medicare Premium from being increased where the Social Security COLA is insufficient to cover the amount of the proposed Part B premium increase. This applies to most Medicare beneficiaries.

There is a "hold harmless" provision in the law that prohibits the Part B Medicare Premium from being increased where the Social Security COLA is insufficient to cover the amount of the proposed Part B premium increase. This applies to most Medicare beneficiaries.

Yeah, but that is only the Part B Premium. The Part A and Part B deductible continues to spiral upward without constraint. It still means many seniors will see higher Medicare costs without a commensuate COLA.

And, of course, Med Supps raise premiums to absorb the rising deductibles....

Yeah, but that is only the Part B Premium. The Part A and Part B deductible continues to spiral upward without constraint. It still means many seniors will see higher Medicare costs without a commensuate COLA.

I guess they shouldn't depend on SS for all their retirement income...

Not everyone lives in a perfect world....

Perhaps you may have heard about the tanked economy's effect on 401(k)s... maybe not.

They had 40 working years to save, how many more did they need? And if people wouldn't chase returns in their 401(k)s and run off annuity agents, perhaps their 401(k) wouldn't have tanked so badly.

Perhaps you've heard of personal responsibility?

They had 40 working years to save, how many more did they need? And if people wouldn't chase returns in their 401(k)s and run off annuity agents, perhaps their 401(k) wouldn't have tanked so badly.

Perhaps you've heard of personal responsibility?

Methinks you have no concept of how the stock market works. BTW... It doesn't just affect retirees/seniors.

The Part A and Part B deductible continues to spiral upward without constraint. It still means many seniors will see higher Medicare costs without a commensuate COLA.

Unfortunately similar situations are not just limited to seniors. Why should they receive special consideration that other citizens are not entitled to?

Look at gas prices. Do agents ever get an commensurate increase in commission to compensate them for the escalating gas prices? Isn't the cost of gas a necessary part of being able to make money selling insurance for most agents? Why aren't we upset because we aren't receiving more commission?

Although I "feel" for seniors, let's not single them out as a "special" part of society. They are no different than you and I. They are not working because most of them choose not to work. Don't forget, seniors control the bulk of the wealth in this country.

Yes, there may be some who are having a "tough time" but the bulk of those I talk to are living the "good life". (I don't prospect in the "poor" areas.)

Unfortunately similar situations are not just limited to seniors. Why should they receive special consideration that other citizens are not entitled to?

Look at gas prices. Do agents ever get an commensurate increase in commission to compensate them for the escalating gas prices? Isn't the cost of gas a necessary part of being able to make money selling insurance for most agents? Why aren't we upset because we aren't receiving more commission?

Although I "feel" for seniors, let's not single them out as a "special" part of society. They are no different than you and I. They are not working because most of them choose not to work. Don't forget, seniors control the bulk of the wealth in this country.

Yes, there may be some who are having a "tough time" but the bulk of those I talk to are living the "good life". (I don't prospect in the "poor" areas.)

True... just consider that there is always going to be segments of society that do very well, while others don't. It's the old story of the "haves" and the "have nots"....

Furthermore, you dont know what it's like to be on the bottom of the heap if you have always been at the top... unless perhaps suddenly, something beyond your control turns your world upside down.

Catastophies happen... that's why you and I sell insurance.

I have been both on the top and on the bottom. I am presently somewhere in between, climbing back out of the pit. I will not forget what it is like when I didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. Guess that's why I can empathize with those in that situation.

My earlier point was that I think some agents see those on the bottom and assume they have been there all their lives. Not necessarily so. Same thing with those on the top... may have been there most of their lives until one day.....

Back