No COLA for SS in 2011!

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
Sorry seniors, no increase in the works for next year.
While normal inflation wasn't that bad; inflation for medical care still rose as usual...

You can blame obamacare and the stimulus package for the lack of funds...

That had nothing to do with it. Based on the formula that SS is required to use, they were not due an increase.

That said, it makes for a lot of angry seniors that vote.

Sorry seniors, no increase in the works for next year.
While normal inflation wasn't that bad; inflation for medical care still rose as usual...

Obama has nothing to do with it. the COLAs are raised based on a formula that they have been using since 1975, under (gulp) Ford, a Republican president.

Obama has nothing to do with it. the COLAs are raised based on a formula that they have been using since 1975, under (gulp) Ford, a Republican president.

Oh please, go on.

TARP?
Cash for clunkers?
PPACA?
Extensions of huge military spending?
Focus on "equality" over a growing economy?

None of those are affecting the budget or COLA?

Oh please, go on.

TARP?
Cash for clunkers?
PPACA?
Extensions of huge military spending?
Focus on "equality" over a growing economy?

None of those are affecting the budget or COLA?

Exactly.

I understand the fact that COLA is formula based. But that formula can be manipulated.

Name one necessity that has not risen in cost since last year.
Food, housing, utilities, household items, clothes, gas, insurance, and of course the real biggie for seniors HEALTHCARE!!

Who gives a sh#t about some formula that is obviously meaningless and not working anymore?

What about doing the right thing? Is that such a strange concept??

Congress gets a guaranteed automatic COLA increase each year (unless they vote not to.... can anybody tell me the last time they did that??)

There is not a single law that states Congress could not amend the COLA provisions and grant an increase based on other factors..... they just dont want to.

SS was bunk from the beginning; but it really got screwed up when ole billy boy said screw the trust fund, we are going to take it all and call it a surplus!

It's the biggest ponzi scheme ever perpetrated, plain and simple.
SS dwarfs Madoff.

Oh, and to bring this all back to the original statement I made (and got blasted for) about Obama;
who has the loudest voice in washington?
who has the ability to ask congress to tackle problems?
who is our LEADER???

When a leader sees a problem they try to fix it. What has he tried to do to fix this very obvious problem??

The answer your looking for is nothing!

Oh, and to bring this all back to the original statement I made (and got blasted for) about Obama;
who has the loudest voice in washington?
who has the ability to ask congress to tackle problems?
who is our LEADER???

When a leader sees a problem they try to fix it. What has he tried to do to fix this very obvious problem??

The answer your looking for is nothing!

why should he or ANY President try to fix it? Just to get crapped on by half by the people out there. Obama is just dumping it on future generations the way that every President before him did. that's the formula for getting re-elected.

Raising the COLA would only raise the deficit, raising the ire of the Republicans, the Tea party and a bunch of other voters. I'm not sure that some of the seniors would even appreciate anything that Obama might do for them because they can't see past the color of his skin. I agree with you that the seniors are going through some hard times now with the effects of REAL inflation (not artificially made CPI), very low interest rates on their CDs and diminishing MA benefits. I don't think that there's much political benefit for Obama to tackle the COLA. Some would probably give the credit to the Republicans no matter what Obama does for them. There was a good article that I read today from Paul Begala that the Fed should defund Kentucky, which receives 115% more than the tax $$ that it gives the Fed. Those ppl from that State whine the most about how Gov't spending is out of control. Well, the Fed should start taking that pork $$ back from those ppl and use it to pay off the debt and cut spending too.

Last edited:
Back