Raise MY Taxes Please!

I can't believe it, the first time I ever heard of the Government protecting the people from the Government.

Tax Complaint: Too Low - WSJ.com

Okay, so the article is about parents that want the ability to have higher property taxes so more can go to schools and the State has a cap on local property taxes that can go towards schools. I'm sure there are many in these communities who probably have no children and do not want to pay more in taxes. The article makes no mention of Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), I'm my area PTAs can raise money to help keep hings like sports programs around....Could it be that these parents want other people to pay more in taxes to support their kids and opposed to writing a check themselves to support the district...The article does not say if there is a law stopping these parents from making a dontation to the school district themselves.

Why the heck is this in the Retirement forum

You're right, they want other people's money. They can donate all their money to the school if they wanted to.

I didn't know where else to post it sorry to upset you Norway.

Ahh, the vocal minority!
You'll always find a parent who thinks this is a good idea. They usually rent.

Dan

while it is likely true that people who have kids want to have programs that benefit their kids and sort of have blinders on to people without kids, it is also likely true that without some sort of program that improves education, there wont be people to provide the services or support the economy for those who are then retired. nobody wants to pay for things that dont obviously benefit them. would such a program provide some benefit to those without kids, depends on if u think education in America is important.

You're right, they want other people's money. They can donate all their money to the school if they wanted to.

I didn't know where else to post it sorry to upset you Norway.

I'm not upset...If I didn't mention it then someone else would have and they might not have been as nice as I....You could have put this in the non-insurance forum or general agent forum...both are good catch alls.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
while it is likely true that people who have kids want to have programs that benefit their kids and sort of have blinders on to people without kids, it is also likely true that without some sort of program that improves education, there wont be people to provide the services or support the economy for those who are then retired. nobody wants to pay for things that dont obviously benefit them. would such a program provide some benefit to those without kids, depends on if u think education in America is important.

I don't disagree...But don't you love the basis of the article...It says these parents want to pay more for the education of their children and the state won't let them...However I believe I pointed out a couple of ways that they could put their money into the school not to mention private schools...What they want is a higher local tax to support their schools, but they phrase the article in a certain way.

Last edited:
Okay, so the article is about parents that want the ability to have higher property taxes so more can go to schools and the State has a cap on local property taxes that can go towards schools. I'm sure there are many in these communities who probably have no children and do not want to pay more in taxes. The article makes no mention of Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs), I'm my area PTAs can raise money to help keep hings like sports programs around....Could it be that these parents want other people to pay more in taxes to support their kids and opposed to writing a check themselves to support the district...The article does not say if there is a law stopping these parents from making a dontation to the school district themselves.

Why the heck is this in the Retirement forum

I wonder how many of these are employed by the school district.

I wonder how many of these are employed by the school district.

I wouldn't go that far...As a parent myself I can understand wanting whats best for my child. Maine also has a law that caps what the District can spend (the other side of the coin) however the cap can be waived by vote of the people. I have always voted no as I see some of the waste but it is routinely passed...I also love how the hold the meetings on the school budget at 8am at the highschool...I live in what could be called a bedroom community most people travel elsewhere for work so at 8am the main people in these meetings are school employees.

Back