Seminars For Less.com - good seminar mailer for retirement?

The seminar is the first appt. If you can't close them on the next appt, you're losing time. When you make the appt, tell them to have their latest statements ready so you can review them. You have to know what to look for,ie: diversified so there aren't any breakpoints, B stocks. When you make the appt, get their brokers name so you can check out his record before the appt.

Throughout your seminar, mention making an appt. The answer to everyone's problem is an annuity. That's all there is besides having a script and a handout to take notes and the response card as previously mentioned.

Remind them constantly that your business is safety, not risk.

I tried Seminar Crowds and drew a half-percent return and no appts. My associate isn't a good public speaker. I'm going to have to create my own mailer and do my own seminars. I am obsessed with Life Settlements as far as bringing in investors. In this market, a 16% return secured by ownership in a life policy, sounds really good, and should produce a good response rate for a seminar.

Its not that I haven't closed a seminar appt on the first appt after the seminar, but generally that is not the case.

I won't do Life Settlements. Not my product.

Pretty easy to close all of your appts if you don't get any... ;)

All the "seminar guys" recommend just listening and taking in information on the first appointment. It is at this appointment that you try to build trust and credibility. If you push for a sale on the first appointment, you will usually lose. It is at the first appointment that the prospective client's guard is up since they expect to be pushed for some sort of sale. It is interesting to watch their faces as they start to realize at the close of the appointment that you apparently are not going to suggest they buy something.

However, I do know a guy in a large city who does monthly seminars and goes strictly after first appointment sales on annuities. He admits that he is going after the "low fruit on the tree" but has concluded that volume is the key and he has hit his stride on the first appointment sales concept. He sold about $7 million last year. He crams in many appointments and is very outgoing. He puts on a show at his seminars. His attitude is "I'm very busy, I can really improve your financial situation, if you want to do business then let's do it."

That is not my style, plus I don't live in a large enough market area to be able to go after just volume.

And why would you need a couple months to get ahead of the curve is you are truly selling most of your appts at the first appointment?

If it is a fit most of the time we work with annuities, we do some managed money, and alittle LTC/LI. The seminar is the first appointment. When they come into my office they already know me, they have met my staff at the seminar, and they know what I believe in. Probably 90+% of our business is done at the first meeting. This year we will write over $12,000,000 in FIA's.

It takes a few months because you have to pay for the mailer around 3 weeks before your first seminar, then you have the seminar and you have your appointments a week or so after the seminar. When you write business it usually takes 2-4 weeks for the money to transfer. All of this causes a big delay between your expenses and revenue. If you are doing multiple mailers in a row you need to have a large enough reserve account to cover your expenses for a few months.

Matt

If it is a fit most of the time we work with annuities, we do some managed money, and alittle LTC/LI. The seminar is the first appointment. When they come into my office they already know me, they have met my staff at the seminar, and they know what I believe in. Probably 90+% of our business is done at the first meeting. This year we will write over $12,000,000 in FIA's.

It takes a few months because you have to pay for the mailer around 3 weeks before your first seminar, then you have the seminar and you have your appointments a week or so after the seminar. When you write business it usually takes 2-4 weeks for the money to transfer. All of this causes a big delay between your expenses and revenue. If you are doing multiple mailers in a row you need to have a large enough reserve account to cover your expenses for a few months.

Matt

I can't close most seminar set appts on the first meeting. Perhaps it is due to style, ability, ... That is great that you are established and able to do it. I am envious.

This thread was originally posted by someone fairly new to the seminar end of the business. I hesitate setting the expectation that she will close business on the first meeting after the seminar. It is great when you do, but to expect that right out of the gate is not realistic, in my opinion.

In truth, I have not done a seminar in over a year. I no longer work out of a brick and mortar office and my staff is now just me and my wife. I write 1/4 of what indaville writes, but my expenses are less. My business now comes from past contacts, referrals, and leads from mailings. I don't miss the hard work, employee management, and expense of running a seminar driven operation, but I certainly respect those that are doing it and making it work. It is not easy, and it is not easy money.

Well, in addition to your out-of-pocket costs to hold a seminar you may want a video tape of the mtg.

According to this article, AARP is the official seminar COP and just like they snoop around the Medicare Advantage crowd, they are now looking for other fish.

AARP is now an unofficial bureaucracy; and extension of government. IMHO

THIS WEEK'S TOP SALES AND MARKETING STORYNASAA/AARP unleash volunteer seminar watchdogs
10acf7bb6e00c465588d7ab3a22896f5
By Steven McCarty
National Ethics Bureau "Free lunch" seminars will be under even greater scrutiny due to a new program to be launched by AARP and the National Association of Securities Administrations Associations (NASAA). Under the program, AARP is recruiting "Free Lunch Monitors" to attend seminars and watch for illegal sales practices. The volunteers will be provided with checklists to complete and are encouraged to return the completed forms to AARP, which will share them with state regulators.

The checklist asks questions such as:

How did the person find out about the session?

Did the speaker use a title suggesting he or she had special expertise serving older investors?

Was a broker or financial advisor recommended or associated with the presentation?

Continue Reading...

All the "seminar guys" recommend just listening and taking in information on the first appointment. It is at this appointment that you try to build trust and credibility. If you push for a sale on the first appointment, you will usually lose. It is at the first appointment that the prospective client's guard is up since they expect to be pushed for some sort of sale. It is interesting to watch their faces as they start to realize at the close of the appointment that you apparently are not going to suggest they buy something.

However, I do know a guy in a large city who does monthly seminars and goes strictly after first appointment sales on annuities. He admits that he is going after the "low fruit on the tree" but has concluded that volume is the key and he has hit his stride on the first appointment sales concept. He sold about $7 million last year. He crams in many appointments and is very outgoing. He puts on a show at his seminars. His attitude is "I'm very busy, I can really improve your financial situation, if you want to do business then let's do it."

That is not my style, plus I don't live in a large enough market area to be able to go after just volume.

Char, I was wondering if you go for the "two appointment" close or whatnot....or do you drag it out as long as it takes?

You develop a sense of what works with each client. You also are deciding whether you want to work with the client or not, it is not always a question of trying to close, but also the client has to 'close' you to win your time and advice. I have decided many times at the first appt that this is a person or couple I do not want to work with, for a variety of reasons. I have closed many sales on the first appt and I have closed some on the 5th appt. Most hard fast rules do not apply and closing the sale is a process that starts the moment you meet. ymmv.

Char, I was wondering if you go for the "two appointment" close or whatnot....or do you drag it out as long as it takes?

Put yourself in the shoes of the guy who went to your seminar. Let's call him "Joe". Your seminar sounded good and you seem like a pretty good guy/gal. However, Joe has $200,000 in an IRA and it is going to take a lot more to convince Joe to invest his money with you then sitting through a seminar. It takes trust.

Would you turn over $200,000 to someone just based on what you heard in a seminar? If so, where do you live and I'll be right over.

I would say it takes 3 meetings on average. Once to listen and take in information. Twice to get back with recommendations and fine tune information. And the magic 3 to try and close.

I guess more than anything, it boils down to your style. If you aren't comfortable with a fast close, then you won't ever do one.

I also have to say that I have never had a significant case get kicked back. People I know that push end up with a large percentage of commission charge-backs. I think that is part of the price you pay for moving too fast. A really slick salesman can sell anything to anybody, but in our business the consumer has 21 days (where I live) to think over what you sold to them. They had better have good thoughts about you as they wonder if they did the right thing.

I think also that if you miss the trust part (and that takes time no matter how or what you do), then you have less chance of doing more business from that person in the future and you have less chance of getting referrals.

All the sales advice about "doing right by your customer" is also relevant. I don't think you can do right by anybody without taking adequate time to make sure whatever you sell is the right thing. I've never had anyone explain to me who does a one-meeting close how they were able to make sure what they sold was a good fit.

I came across SeminarsForLess.com the other day and they offer a great deal IMHO..... $2100 for 5000 gloss full color postcards to targeted lists, along with their call center to field your RSVPs.

Has anyone has a success story with this company? I am going to be launching a retirement planning seminar soon and wanted to have a great showing. I am targeting affluent seniors ages 55-70 in the area for appetizers and refreshments (no full dinner)

Or, would anyone like to recommend THEIR mailing house? :D

Integrity Marketing (seminarvalue) does a really good job - some agents that I know of out of PA write $8mm to $10mm using them. Get an average of 50 to 60 in a room consistently. Not sure of the cost, but I know the target list they use is good.

Here is a summary advertisement from them

Integrity Marketing is dedicated to offering the very best service, results and value in filling your ongoing seminars with quality prospects.
  • We have superior copy and layout design that has proven response. We can customize our copy to suit your presentation or use copy you provide.
  • We are list brokers for the ONLY list company that is ISO 9000 certified.
  • Customized demographics for your area to include any combination of exact age, income, net worth, homeowner, home value, length of residence and ethnic selects.
  • 24/7 phone reservations and confirmation calls made 2 days before your seminar AND the morning of your seminar.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Put yourself in the shoes of the guy who went to your seminar. Let's call him "Joe". Your seminar sounded good and you seem like a pretty good guy/gal. However, Joe has $200,000 in an IRA and it is going to take a lot more to convince Joe to invest his money with you then sitting through a seminar. It takes trust.

Would you turn over $200,000 to someone just based on what you heard in a seminar? If so, where do you live and I'll be right over.

I would say it takes 3 meetings on average. Once to listen and take in information. Twice to get back with recommendations and fine tune information. And the magic 3 to try and close.

I guess more than anything, it boils down to your style. If you aren't comfortable with a fast close, then you won't ever do one.

I also have to say that I have never had a significant case get kicked back. People I know that push end up with a large percentage of commission charge-backs. I think that is part of the price you pay for moving too fast. A really slick salesman can sell anything to anybody, but in our business the consumer has 21 days (where I live) to think over what you sold to them. They had better have good thoughts about you as they wonder if they did the right thing.

I think also that if you miss the trust part (and that takes time no matter how or what you do), then you have less chance of doing more business from that person in the future and you have less chance of getting referrals.

All the sales advice about "doing right by your customer" is also relevant. I don't think you can do right by anybody without taking adequate time to make sure whatever you sell is the right thing. I've never had anyone explain to me who does a one-meeting close how they were able to make sure what they sold was a good fit.

I would agree a majority of the agents that I know that are witting multi-millions in production have some type of 3 appointment process. I have a few dvd's that I have gathered through different marketing organizations about the 3 appointment close that are really good. Some of the information is basic, but it is nice to be reminded of the basics sometimes.

Last edited:
Back