Time To Raise Retirement Age

Is it me or does the Social Security system resemble a Giant Ponzi Scheme.

You have to admit. There are some similarities.

The system would have been in good shape if our leaders would not have stolen from paul to pay peter....

The only reason it is not is because the government runs it.

If anyone else pitched this idea, they'd be branded a scam artist as soon they opened their mouths.

Is it me or does the Social Security system resemble a Giant Ponzi Scheme.

You have to admit. There are some similarities.

The system would have been in good shape if our leaders would not have stolen from paul to pay peter....

It's not just you.

At least with a Ponzi scheme you don't have to participate.

Originally Posted by pcwest
Is it me or does the Social Security system resemble a Giant Ponzi Scheme.​

You have to admit. There are some similarities.​

The system would have been in good shape if our leaders would not have stolen from paul to pay peter....​
It's not just you.
At least with a Ponzi scheme you don't have to participate.

I always love to point out prior to 1984 Federal Employees those under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) did not contribute to Social Security, Members of Congress are Federal Employees and if they got elected prior to 1984 they are not part of the Social Security system...Newer Federal employees are part of (FERS) or Federal Employee Retirement System and do contribute to Social Security and have a much smaller Federal Pension. Also some Municipal and State employees do not contribute to Social Security either..My state of Maine is a perfect example MSRS covered employees do not contribute to Social Security...Don't I wish I could opt out of Social Security.

I dunno, Peter. Lanacaster County, PA is a beautiful area. Living the simple life is good. When they fertilize their fields in the Spring---ahhh, the aroma! No chemical fertilizer. Just plain old horse manure. But that's better than when I was in Korea----there they use plain old human $hit!!!

.................., Members of Congress are Federal Employees

There is a talk of 15% cut in number of federal employees, I hope they cut the size of senators and congressman also.

I'm OK if they cut the size of congreeman to 100, and senators to 50. Although, we dont even need that many "sheeps" anyway

There is a talk of 15% cut in number of federal employees, I hope they cut the size of senators and congressman also.

I'm OK if they cut the size of congreeman to 100, and senators to 50. Although, we dont even need that many "sheeps" anyway

There have been 435 members of the House of Representatives since 1911, almost 100 years.

In 1911 the population of the U.S. was 92 million, about 212,000 people for each member of House. Today the population of the U.S. is 310 million, meaning just over 700,000 people per U.S. representative.

Congress was to be the house that represented the people and the number of congressman was/is to be apportioned based upon population. That is balanced by the Senate, apportioned 2 members per state, regardless of the population of the state.

I don't think the House has too many members. What we should consider doing is cutting the pay of the members of congress and turning it into a part time job. This would require less government involvement in our lives, something conservatives would be delighted with.

Last edited:
Many Americans look at SS as a pension since every year SS sends u a statement of how much u will get at retirement. I can't blame them.

Back