Tontines - the New Investment Wave?

I heard about this recently and thought: "what a great idea and I want in."

Your thoughts? Tontines: The retirement plan of the future? - MarketWatch

Moshe Milevsky has made statements indicating that these could eventually replace annuities.

I think that they've been around for like 500 years though so no worry yet...they were also rife with fraud back in the day so there's that too.

EDIT: I guess that I should read the article before commenting...lol.

I'm not sure if that is tongue in cheek or not. Honestly I wish I knew a little more about this area...I think I'm missing out on an opportunity here.

Yes tongue in cheek for sure :) .

My point is that insurance companies are in business for a reason, they do a ton of work and research , for a small spread, on huge risk pools.

I could just see these things blowing up (in a bad way) if they became popular. I could really see some serious abuses taking place too. This is placing all of the risk on the consumer, who is not an expert in actuarial statistics.

You will have everything from a group of running buddies in great health who all go in on one together and then their payments never increase because they all live long and healthy lives. All the way to 30 year olds cruising the nursing homes conning old people into these.

It would be the wild west for a while until there is a dateline special and congressional inquiry. Then a bunch of regs will get passed. Then more regs. Then you will start to see packaged products come out.... then suddenly it looks a hell of a lot like an annuity!

Back