$0 MAPD a Better Plan Than a Med Supp....

Dumb assed agents are a constant. That is the only thing you can learn from her comments.

I have never had a client call me saying get me off this med sup plan, it's choosing me a small fortune to get physical therapy..

I have had several clients say that about their med adv plans.

Clients love med adv plans until they get sick.

The fact that med adv replaces a and b while a med sup covers gaps in a and b should tell you something.

Don't you just love the agents that sell $0 MA plans then come back selling cancer, hospital indemnity, etc to "fill the gaps"?

In some areas of the country Medicare vantage has 25% marketshare. You either sell it or lose out because that's with those people will buy.

I have never had a client call me saying get me off this med sup plan, it's choosing me a small fortune to get physical therapy..

I have had several clients say that about their med adv plans.

Clients love med adv plans until they get sick.

The fact that med adv replaces a and b while a med sup covers gaps in a and b should tell you something.

Why should it tell me anything other than each performs as they are designed. Medigap works in addition to A/B because there is no limit on OOP cost with original Medicare like with MA.

I have had clients call after therapy or other frequent treatment needs and when we compare what they would have paid with a Medigap they are still way under the annual premium and guess what... they probably aren't going to have another event like that next year. If you let the conversation stop at that one event and not on the big picture of years and years of experience then you are the problem, not the solution.

I don't advocate either option, I teach and lead them to the decision that is right for their unique position, not what might spare me from unpleasant calls that I have to reeducate and remind the member of "why" we went that way.

This year: T65 in April, elects MAPD PPO, spends some time in TX, but that is not a concern for him with out of network coverage, he goes down in June, feels ill, goes to doctor, diagnosed with Luekemia, straight to AD Anderson, out of network, pays his $10,000, does he like it, no, does he remember the "other option", sure. He came home to resolve some ranch and business issues before returning to TX, I get him in and move him back to original Medicare with a medigap since he is still in his first six months. It was his choice, could we predict this event, no, but for 65 years other than checkups and the like he hasn't had more than mild high blood pressure and ranch related injuries. Will this case waiver my methods, no, why should it. I've had thousands of Medicare insurance transactions and this case is the exception not the rule.

What about the other 75%?

The other 75% don't all get Medicare Supplements, I believe the national average is around 20%.

I believe in giving my clients a choice of either Medigap or MAPD, particularly in areas such as Florida where a combination of Plan F plus PDP can be $250+ per month.

It's much different to me when Plan F's are in the $150 range, as they are in many states-in those cases I usually recommend a Medigap plan.

There are many metropolitan areas where MAPD penetration is 45% and higher-those areas usually have MAPD plans with better benefits and networks than in more rural areas.

I don't offer Indemnity or Cancer plans (or dental) to my MAPD clients, they would be better off with a Plan K or HDF than spending the money for those

I have no problem with agents who choose to only offer Medigap plans and but wonder why it's so important for some of them to be so critical of those of us who offer both sides. I've personally had MAPD plans for the past 4 years without an issue but recently switched to a low cost (Plan K) Medigap plan because I am spending lots of time in a state where the MAPD travel benefit isn't available.

Back