$0 MAPD a Better Plan Than a Med Supp....

This is where I disagree. What are the drugs? What's the DX? What's the long term ramifications?

And $10K??? I've got a lot of Part D reviews and I haven't seen anything over $5K yet...

I'm really not trying to argue, but I would love to see the actual info that got you to Aetna MAPD vs Sup/Part D.

It wasn't my case but, if some of the brand drugs were either in the Specialty Tier or not in the formulary for the PDP plans and Preferred Brand for the Aetna PPO it could be in that range although $10K does seem high to me-$5K is still significant, isn't it?

This is my last comment, ever, about the Med Supp/MAPD 'discussion'-I am on Medicare and so are many of my friends. Florida Med Supp rates are really high and many, many people my age don't want to spend as much as 25-30% of their income on health insurance. There are others who make far more money and still want the $0 premium MAPD plan because they are just cheap or don't see the value. I take lots of time to explain the benefits for both MAPD plans as well as the potential problems with networks but, at the end of the day, it's still a decision that needs to be made by the client, not me.

Last edited:
Like others have said, it's good to offer both.
Saturday I sold two Plan F's. I recommended G or N, but they were the type where "its worth it for convenience" even though logic says dont buy F.

Today a $0 MAPD. He would have loved a Supp but at 89 yrs old we were limited. And, frankly, we have some really good 0 premium PPO's in central OH.

All 3 clients happy.

I don't really care what they buy as long as I do my due diligence and explain the plan. Walking away from MAPD is walking away from a lot of money once you have a good sized book of business.

anyone who doesn't offer both is doing a disservice to the customer. There is no blanket answer for everyone in this business.

I only offer Medigap, and only from certain carriers. If they want MOO I give them the 800 number and suggest they enroll direct.

So far have not had anyone do that.

Most of the inquiries I get, close to 100% (web driven) are for Medigap. Occasionally some are confused and want to know the difference in Medigap and MA.

Or they ask "Which is better?".

Most have already done their homework and know they want a supplement but a few need clarification.

I explain the differences. Almost invariably they pick the supplement.

If they want MA I refer them to another agent that I know. I believe the referrals are down to less than 5 a year now.

I have only had one client switch to MA after being on original Medicare and a supplement plan. That's a pretty good record over 5 years.

Maybe I am not doing a disservice after all.

I've had clients tell me what agents who do not sell MA have said about those plans. If you don't sell MA it is really easy to bad mouth them so no way a client would choose them for their coverage. After I explain everything to them they can't believe it's the same plan the other agent just got done hammering on a few days ago. Client will usually go with what plan you seem to think they should. I show them both options and let them choose.

I've had clients tell me what agents who do not sell MA have said about those plans. If you don't sell MA it is really easy to bad mouth them so no way a client would choose them for their coverage. After I explain everything to them they can't believe it's the same plan the other agent just got done hammering on a few days ago. Client will usually go with what plan you seem to think they should. I show them both options and let them choose.

same here. Present it in an unbiased way, and most people are smart enough to choose what is best for them. That is why my business is split, literally, 50% medsupp and 50% MAPD.
Its funny, I can't count how many times I have went into a house after a Bankers agent (obviously biased toward medsupp), and explained MAPD, and the customer goes "But Bankers said...!", and then I show them in writing what I said, and they are floored :swoon::swoon:

Just got off the phone, explaining to a client for the third year in a row why he shouldnt go to a $0 per month plan. After I point out the network issues it is usually enough to convince them, if the out of pocket max doesnt scare them (especially when they might have chronic issues).
I look forward to next year's talk...

(for the record, not against $0 ma plans, I sell them, just not in this particular case)

Last edited:
Wouldn't these people be Medi-Medi?

Not in Florida, the rules are different than in California and, even if they were, most of them don't want to deal with Medicaid provider networks.

They still can't afford Medicare Supplements regardless, right?

Just got off the phone, explaining to a client for the third year in a row why he shouldnt go to a $0 per month plan. After I point out the network issues it is usually enough to convince them, if the out of pocket max doesnt scare them (especially when they might have chronic issues).
I look forward to next year's talk...

I had a guy call me to tell me had to switch to UHC MAPD so he could get Silver Sneakers. I asked why he wanted an HMO instead of being able to go anywhere he wanted, especially since he travels so much. "The free gym membership". I told him I wouldn't do it, because his financial planner would kill me. So he told me he would get it on his own and hung up.

I called the FP and let him know what had transpired.

FP called the client and told him that if signed with an MAPD he was firing HIM.

Client called me to apologize for being short-sighted. Then I moved him to Cigna so he could get the $25/annual gym membership ;)

Back