10/1 AEP Advertising

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
So, the regulation of no AEP mailings until 10/1. I'm assuming that's arrival date of the ad - not mail date.

So a bulk mail batch sent Friday 9/29 arriving Monday 10/2 (or later) should be OK?

Does the speed limit start when you're in sight of the sign, or when you pass it?

Its funny how interpretation of laws can vary from person to person.

I'm sure a lawyer can make an argument for either one. You should be fine.

Does the speed limit start when you're in sight of the sign, or when you pass it?

Just call it pre-AEP paranoia. I wonder if Obamacare covers that. :twitchy:

At the sign.

Of course, just like with a cop, if you get caught CMS is going to ruin your day whether you were right or not.

So, the regulation of no AEP mailings until 10/1. I'm assuming that's arrival date of the ad - not mail date.

So a bulk mail batch sent Friday 9/29 arriving Monday 10/2 (or later) should be OK?

What is the definition of an "AEP mailing?"

My understanding is you can't talk about the plans until 10/1. But there aren't any other restrictions that aren't in place during the rest of the year.

I just put postcards in the mail to remind my clients about the AEP. It basically just asks people to call me so I can review their options for next year.

There are no prices, plan names or benefits mentioned.

Am I in trouble?

Actually I know an agent who did the above. It wasn't me. I'm really asking for him or her.

I've never heard of a date that aep mailers can't go out before.

I mean obviously not plan specifics but I don't think anyone sends those out.
My aep letter goes out around the end of sept.

Ya I'm sending a request for current med lists out this week with a reminder that I'm still around if you need anything. We went big time and are sending a postcard picture as well!!

Interesting.

Like you all, I already mailed my current client list. I sent that out last week - the usual... AEP is coming soon, we can't make changes until 10/15, check your ANOC, please tell others about me... oh, and by the way, call me for a new ancillary product...

This kind of pre-AEP letter to clients is obviously OK.

But - I was more asking for the classic "New 2018 AEP MAPD benefits - return this card... blah blah blah... deadline: you have until 12/7" type mailings... sent to prospects (not clients).

I think it's pretty clear that this type can't get there until 10/1. To answer my own question... I think it would be tough to get in trouble for mailing it on 9/29 arriving on 10/2..

Back