<65 | Medicare | ACA (Obamacare)

brooks

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Say I'm 45 ... with primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) or some other disabling condition. I have little or no income.

Why would I screw around with medicare when under the ACA I can get health insurance at practically no cost?

Complying with Medicare would be a hassle. I can't see why anyone would bother now with the availability of Obamacare.

Must be missing something.

If you have no income you would get Medicare for free, qualify for medicaid, and get extra help, which reduces your rx cost to almost nothing.

You would benefit more so with this route because you would probably have a broader network, little to no out of pocket, and a better formulary of drugs.

Also, once your eligible for Medicare, you lose the option of a subsidy.

Say I'm 45 ... with primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) or some other disabling condition. I have little or no income. Why would I screw around with medicare when under the ACA I can get health insurance at practically no cost? Complying with Medicare would be a hassle. I can't see why anyone would bother now with the availability of Obamacare. Must be missing something.
You are missing something. Once you're eligible for Medicare, you are no longer eligible for an ACA plan. You don't get to choose.

Also, the price for a plan off the exchange(without subsidies) would cost him a pretty penny. To qualify for subsidies as a single person household, his gross annual income would need to break around $15,282 dollars. Otherwise at this point Medicare or Medicaid becomes a better option for the applicant.

Say I'm 45 ... with primary lateral sclerosis (PLS) or some other disabling condition. I have little or no income.

Why would I screw around with medicare when under the ACA I can get health insurance at practically no cost?

Complying with Medicare would be a hassle. I can't see why anyone would bother now with the availability of Obamacare.

Must be missing something.

I have a client that has Tetrology of Fallot, and I can tell you, if she were to give up Medicare, she would also lose Social Security Disability. Have you/your client check and see if that is the same for them.

Back