66-69 Medicare Supplement Mailings

Thad...

You're saying that TM is faster than DM? Yes, generally speaking.

So you can hire, train, and build an infrastructure of TM's that can equal sending out a 10,000 or 100,000 piece mailer in the next two weeks? I can yes. At 10k per week and returning 1.5% that is 150 leads per week. I can do that right now daily. Second what single agent needs 150 leads per week?

Then you have the cost of ongoing recruiting, training, call center rent and equipment. With DM you have an on going cost also, assuming you want to stay in business long term, because why you ask... Ummm, you need leads every day and every week you want to make money. Which is the same as what your saying a call center has, it's all a "lead" cost.

We could get into ROI but there are so many variables its pointless without a specific example we both are aware of. DM cost is about $25 to $29 per lead, TM is $5 to $15 per lead, and with TM you can narrow down a lot more over the phone than you can with DM. With TM you control what is said and what is heard way better than DM.

For a small one man show TM is cheaper since you only need one or two good TMs that can work from home to keep you fed. But if you look at businesses over all markets the ones that need more leads do much better with DM.

Please read red above....................

What's the most important part of a marketing campaign? In my opinion, it's the LIST. WHO you mail to and what type of life situation they are in matters WAY more than what the card says, or whether or not the card is pink or goldenrod.
Absolutely. There's a common saying among direct mail pros; "you'll do better with a poor offer and good list, than with a good offer and poor list."

Please read red above....................

"with TM you can narrow down a lot more over the phone than you can with DM. With TM you control what is said and what is heard way better than DM."

Can you please explain this in more detail?

"what single agent needs 150 leads per week?"

I understand I made the confusing general statement in a forum that is mostly single agents but I have stated 3 times now I was referring to ALL businesses across the board. NOT single agents, or small operations. I am not sure at what lead gen volume TM starts to loose ROI but it does eventually.

Companies like Boardroom Reports and Franklin Mint, just to name a few, send out millions of DM a month and generate 100's of millions of dollars ROI in a year.

This volume doesn't work with TM. I know because the best have tried and failed.

That said... I think its awesome that you have built such a great system that is working for you Thad. You obviously have serious skills. Bravo!

For the record I am not against TM at all. I use it in my business every day because it works!

Making money is what I am a fan of... Not one specific strategy or tactic.

Companies like Boardroom Reports and Franklin Mint, just to name a few, send out millions of DM a month and generate 100's of millions of dollars ROI in a year.

Thanks for the information.

You do realize it was an INDIVIDUAL agent asking about Medicare mailings rather than the CEO of Franklin Mints that asked the question.

We do appreciate the feedback. I'll forward it to Southwest Airlines for their consideration as well.

Rick

You do realize it was an INDIVIDUAL agent asking about Medicare mailings rather than the CEO of Franklin Mints that asked the question.

We do appreciate the feedback. I'll forward it to Southwest Airlines for their consideration as well.

Rick

Don't forget, Tim Cook may need that info as well. I hear Apple is down to just under $180 billion in cash on hand so they may not be able to complete a large DM campaign.

Rick

The question the INDIVIDUAL asked was addressed multiple times before I brought up a general DM principle.

I apologized twice for making a confusing remark.

Yet you are still going to be a total smart ass after I acknowledged I made a confusing reference outside the scope of the original posters situation?

...But you talked about marketing to D-SNPs! Oh my... the original poster didn't ask about that! I am not sure if that is a viable market for him.

Then...

Bevo brought up marketing online and how marketing is changing. Followed by a Seth Godin reference to be different.

Midwestbroker commented on the Seth Godin reference and talked about niche marketing with blended strategy...

Rearden commented that the purpose of DM is to generate a lead, get the prospect to identify themselves. Also spoke to the importance of the list.

Moonlightandmargaritas commented he agreed about the list being the most important factor.

Holy **** all this awesome helpful info on here that the original poster didn't ask about. He just wanted to swipe a non-generic mailer for 66-69!

If the original poster is never going learn marketing then none of this info pertains to him! Oh my... How ridiculous this info has been!

I guess when you have no value to add you feel the need tear down other people.

...And yes, I study big businesses because I want to grow my business and not be a small agency my entire career.

I don't know anyone who is actually successful that would argue with that habit. Many authors like Napoleon Hill say the biggest issue most people have is that they don't think big enough.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Last edited:
Any decent telemarketer will generate about 1 lead an hour at a cost of $10-15. So you can get at least 30 hours of calls and 30 leads for the same cost of a DM piece that will return 1-2%.

I don't see how DM makes sense in most markets.

Most indy agents really don't have the need to mail 10-100,000 pieces.

Rick

If a telemarketer is generating a lead an hour for 30 hours how many would you say you close?

If a telemarketer is generating a lead an hour for 30 hours how many would you say you close?
Depends on how well your telemarketer is qualifying for health, as well as your presentation.

In my experience, once I can get them to a screen-share, it's a very high close ratio as long as they can be underwritten.

Depends on how well your telemarketer is qualifying for health, as well as your presentation.

In my experience, once I can get them to a screen-share, it's a very high close ratio as long as they can be underwritten.

In your experience, what % of telemarketed leads are people with internet and computer access? I would think you would have to focus on the 66-69 age bracket to have a reasonable %age.

Back