Advice Needed Please

mikepspencer

I am a relatively new independent life/health agent. I am a good salesperson when I get in front of someone but I'm not so good at prospecting and marketing and I don't really have funds to work with in that regard.

I've been offered a position with an IMO out of Michigan that does most of the prospecting and marketing for their agents and provides 8-10 preset appointments per week. I would be their second agent in the state of Tennessee and their first in the Nashville area (they've told me they'd like to have two in this area total). The market is mostly seniors and folks aging into Medicare. They deal mainly with Med Sups, Med Advantage, Final Expense, Annuities, and Ancillary Health Products.

Here's the rub. They pay 50% of street level on the appointments that they preset and 70% of street level on all other business (self-generated, referrals etc.). Commission on self-generated business goes up to 100% of street level once I hit $60,000 in self-generated premium in a given year. I would be fully vested in my renewals after three years and $1,000,000 in production.

I'm trying to weigh this offer in light of what percentage of revenue an independent agent normally has to spend on overhead along with the time spent on marketing and prospecting versus of course what I'm giving up to have it done for me (mostly at least). The biggest pro it would seem is the fact that I could begin earning very quickly. The biggest con seems to me to be that over time, the amount of total revenue siphoned off by this arrangement would tend to increase, not decrease, as marketing expenses normally do.

Thoughts please.

I am a relatively new independent life/health agent. I am a good salesperson when I get in front of someone but I'm not so good at prospecting and marketing and I don't really have funds to work with in that regard.

I've been offered a position with an IMO out of Michigan that does most of the prospecting and marketing for their agents and provides 8-10 preset appointments per week. I would be their second agent in the state of Tennessee and their first in the Nashville area (they've told me they'd like to have two in this area total). The market is mostly seniors and folks aging into Medicare. They deal mainly with Med Sups, Med Advantage, Final Expense, Annuities, and Ancillary Health Products.

Here's the rub. They pay 50% of street level on the appointments that they preset and 70% of street level on all other business (self-generated, referrals etc.). Commission on self-generated business goes up to 100% of street level once I hit $60,000 in self-generated premium in a given year. I would be fully vested in my renewals after three years and $1,000,000 in production.

I'm trying to weigh this offer in light of what percentage of revenue an independent agent normally has to spend on overhead along with the time spent on marketing and prospecting versus of course what I'm giving up to have it done for me (mostly at least). The biggest pro it would seem is the fact that I could begin earning very quickly. The biggest con seems to me to be that over time, the amount of total revenue siphoned off by this arrangement would tend to increase, not decrease, as marketing expenses normally do.

Thoughts please.

Learn marketing...every avenue you can. Making huge money in the Senior insurance niche comes down to just a few things:

* Marketing
* Establishing trust and credibility
* Accomplished by being an expert in product knowledge including those you don't sell

Many a great "salesperson" has failed miserably in the Senior niche. It's hard, because if you need to close deals to live most people fail to put the client's needs first. And their true needs in all reality might not include you.

People do business with those they know, like, and trust. It pains me to read threads like this because agencies rope people in because they handle all the marketing. Well they're also taking most of the profits.

Anyone who is serious about making a substantial living in the Senior market needs to be great at marketing.

I would add first learn how to prospect. Then in your spare time learn everything you can about marketing and invest every free dollar you generate back into leads.

If you don't have marketing capital, the cheapest way to get started is buy a targeted list and just go talk to people. There is less competition than you may think, because for a lot of agents, this type of prospecting is beneath them.

I would find a different IMO if I were you. You can get street commission anywhere and plenty of training too if you know where to look!

You can take advatage of the preset appointments to get yourself established and get your cash stores up and you can place your other earned business through a different mo. Make sure there are no contracting carrier overlaps and work both ends. Once you get better at referrrals and other marketing forms you can depend less on preset appointments. Good luck

Back