Aetna and Cigna MA Plans

honestagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anybody know if we can directly contract with either of these 2 companies>? Or must we go through another infamous FMO?

Also would it vary by state? In other words, would contracting vary by state of how an agent can and cannot contract directly with the carrier? I don't know... hence my question.

After the fact, last year, I found out an agent could contract directly through Pyramid; this is why I'm asking. I know it sounds stupid but look to the line above this one and again, you'll know why I am asking.

I know with Humana and UHC we cannot unless we go through an fmo. Where as again, with Pyramid, we do not need an fmo. :biggrin:

Thanks again.

Thanks to all in advance!

Honest:

I've worked as a GA for Aetna for about 2 years (their name for an FMO, I guess) in the Philly market for HMO/PPO and other places for stand alone PDP. You can work direct or work with a GA. The pay is the same, in theory. Unlike many other carriers, you are not "married" to your GA (if you choose to use one), so, if you wrote 10 apps, you could use 10 different GA's or none! Since GA's literally compete for your business every app, I pay on submit (monthly) to stay competitive (I'm setting up a toll free fax and e-mail account to log apps for quicker pay). If you write direct, you will get paid the month following the effective date, so it's about 4-6 weeks slower.

Regarding Cigna, I don't represent them, but I've heard that there are 4 IMO's nationally (can't confirm). They have 4 area ratings with different benefits/premiums in each area. They really cherry picked the counties (almost all "floor" counties). I looked at their area's and found only area A to be competitive, so I don't think I will pursue a relationship at this time. If the counties where you sell are "A" counties, it could be worth having?

Craig

I noticed that several carriers are offering bonuses after a minimum # of apps. Like another $20/app....

I still say, hold off signing any new contracts because i smell competition heating up, and they will up the ante for the business.

Obviously, you need a couple active contracts so you can write when they blow that whistle(and hopefully have enough apps)....but come Oct many co's will be tripping over themselves to shmooze you.....or is it smooch?

;)

I received an e-mail today about contracting for the Cigna plan. It was from Neishloss & Fleming.

I've never heard of them until today. I think they're a newer Senior Market FMO.

Same comp. as described above, etc.

Back