Aetna Continental Life Vs New Aetna Med Supp

I'm not sure, but I don't think they pay very well for internal moves. I was talking about moving them to a different company all together.

I guess it'll be different by state, but when Aetna Health came out here, they weren't too competitive and now they've had an increase and aren't in the ball park. ACI was great for several years. I've been moving the older policies for a while.

How often do these Med Supp companies close their blocks? Is it fairly common? Have all of the companies done this at some point?

How often do these Med Supp companies close their blocks? Is it fairly common? Have all of the companies done this at some point?

It's becoming more common all the time. MOFO's famous for it. Aetna's used 3 now. Cigna's used 3 now. There are others with a 2nd one. Heck, I remember Physicians Mutual doing it about 20 years ago, when they closed the book on their Physicians Mutual Med Supp and brought out their Physicians Life Med Supp. They might have actually been the one that pioneered it.

About the only one that hasn't done it at least once is the AARP branded Med Supp from UHC. Of course, even they got a fresh start in 2010 as did every carrier.

There may be some carriers in other states who haven't opened a new book but it seems to be the exception now. Even the once reliable New Era has jumped on the bandwagon.

About the only one that hasn't done it at least once is the AARP branded Med Supp from UHC. Of course, even they got a fresh start in 2010 as did every carrier.

There may be some carriers in other states who haven't opened a new book but it seems to be the exception now. Even the once reliable New Era has jumped on the bandwagon.

What happened in 2010?

It's becoming more common all the time. MOFO's famous for it. Aetna's used 3 now. Cigna's used 3 now. There are others with a 2nd one. Heck, I remember Physicians Mutual doing it about 20 years ago, when they closed the book on their Physicians Mutual Med Supp and brought out their Physicians Life Med Supp. They might have actually been the one that pioneered it.

New Era of all companies even jumped in on the fun. This game is here to stay it looks like.

----------

What happened in 2010?

Medicare modernization, new Plans N and M added, other useless plans deleted and carriers were allowed to reset rates with new blocks.

New Era of all companies even jumped in on the fun. This game is here to stay it looks like.

----------

Medicare modernization, new Plans N and M added, other useless plans deleted and carriers were allowed to reset rates with new blocks.

How long running had the old Continental Life block run its course? Anybody know? It just seems to me like a sort of life raft offered to companies that suffer from adverse selection that leaves the sicker people in a lurch.
It's too bad that customers don't have the ability to change plans via "Birthday Rule" like they do in California. California is expensive as all hell, but I've always thought that they care more for the consumer than other states.

Last edited:

Yep, you can also add Bankers Life/Colonial Penn, Family Life/Manhattan Life, Heartland National/Heartland National Association Group, CSI/CSI Life, Medico/ Medico Corp, American Republic/American Republic Corp, Bankers Fidelity Life/Bankers Fidelity Assurance, United National/GTL, Standard Life & Accident/American National. Yep, I'd say it's very common these days.:yes:

----------

How long running had the old Continental Life block run its course? Anybody know? It just seems to me like a sort of life raft offered to companies that suffer from adverse selection that leaves the sicker people in a lurch.
It's too bad that customers don't have the ability to change plans via "Birthday Rule" like they do in California. California is expensive as all hell, but I've always thought that they care more for the consumer than other states.

I first contracted with Continental Life/American Continental in 2006 before Genworth bought them. CLI was still in Illinois with a Med Supp, but were on there way out and ACI was following them in. CLI's still in some states with a Med Supp. They've never stooped having their Ancillary products here.

Yep, you can also add Bankers Life/Colonial Penn, Family Life/Manhattan Life, Heartland National/Heartland National Association Group, CSI/CSI Life, Medico/ Medico Corp, American Republic/American Republic Corp, Bankers Fidelity Life/Bankers Fidelity Assurance, United National/GTL, Standard Life & Accident/American National. Yep, I'd say it's very common these days.:yes:

----------

I first contracted with Continental Life/American Continental in 2006 before Genworth bought them. CLI was still in Illinois with a Med Supp, but were on there way out and ACI was following them in. CLI's still in some states with a Med Supp. They've never stooped having their Ancillary products here.

What a relief! I explained my way out of that one since I had originally wrote her up on the old Continental Life. She liked me at our meeting, so thanked me for "looking out for her". I quickly learned how to do the e-app and am now waiting for her to send it back to me.

learned how to do the e-app and am now waiting for her to send it back to me.

You do realize the benefit of the e-app is the ability to handle it all by phone, correct?

What a relief! I explained my way out of that one since I had originally wrote her up on the old Continental Life. She liked me at our meeting, so thanked me for "looking out for her". I quickly learned how to do the e-app and am now waiting for her to send it back to me.

Printing and mailing the completed e-app is one of three options they give, but the other two are much better. I use voice signature. Three way call in under three minutes, completely voice prompt, so no carrier rep on the other end. Get the confirmation number, enter and submit. If an underwritten case I have the client do that separately with them after the e-app is submitted. The other option is email signature. I don't use that because some people have trouble with pop-up blockers, but it beats waiting on the mail. Today's tip.

Back