Aetna Continental Life Vs New Aetna Med Supp

What happened in 2010?

June 1st 2010 is when all the plans had to go modernized. Every company had to close all their blocks of business and start fresh the next day with slightly altered benefits and fresh new pricing. Some plans got pulled from the market (plan J was one) and new plans added (N, K, L and Hi deductible F).

If you ever run into a plan they have been on prior to June 1st 2010 they are DEFINITELY over paying.

June 1st 2010 is when all the plans had to go modernized. Every company had to close all their blocks of business and start fresh the next day with slightly altered benefits and fresh new pricing. Some plans got pulled from the market (plan J was one) and new plans added (N, K, L and Hi deductible F).

If you ever run into a plan they have been on prior to June 1st 2010 they are DEFINITELY over paying.

High Deductible F was around long before 2010.:yes:

High Deductible F was around long before 2010.:yes:

Was it? My memory ain't what it used to be. I don't remember ever running into one until the past few years though.

I do remember the G plan got the 100% excess which made it even easier to sell compared to F. And all plans had to add the additional hospice benefit which sounded great to the consumers but was really a tiny, tiny change.

That was a GREAT time to be in Med Sups. Every single person needed to change and Anthem and MOO even offered GI options for everyone that paid full commish.

Anthem and MOO even offered GI options for everyone that paid full commish.

Great for agents.

Great for applicants . . . at least initially. Not so much as the plans matured and those blocks were closed.

Incredibly stupid move by carriers.

Continental Life and Celtic stopped selling MS in FL at least 10 years ago. I still have several hundred policies in force. Both companies are competitive when compared to age 65 today with other carriers. Haven't tried to replace any of them because the policyowner is very satisfied.

I still sell some FE with ACI/Aetna. Submitted one last week and got that same phone call from Joan McGuire thanking me for my application. The only company I write with that makes a personal phone call to say thanks.

Was it? My memory ain't what it used to be. I don't remember ever running into one until the past few years though.

I do remember the G plan got the 100% excess which made it even easier to sell compared to F. And all plans had to add the additional hospice benefit which sounded great to the consumers but was really a tiny, tiny change.

That was a GREAT time to be in Med Sups. Every single person needed to change and Anthem and MOO even offered GI options for everyone that paid full commish.

HDF's been around for 20 years. Yes, 2010 was when Plan G went from paying 80%, to 100% on excess.

Great for agents.

Great for applicants . . . at least initially. Not so much as the plans matured and those blocks were closed.

It was actually pretty good if done properly. Anthem's plan F was always priced mid-pack. But they opened it up GI but only for people who had an existing Plan F. So we placed people who had an outrageously priced plan F there. It never had the explosive rate increases because it was always priced fairly high to start with. That one went well.

The MOO plan N was another story. It was priced dirt cheap and would take everyone GI. We would only use that for people completely uninsurable. Couldn't get a Med Sup any other way. I would never in a million years put anyone reasonably healthy on something designed that bad. these were people that were running up huge bills on their Advantage plans. They were thrilled to get it and many stuck with it through the crazy rate hikes because it was still a deal if you use it all the time. Any year that they wanted off we could put them right back into Med Advantage where they started.

Any time there are big changes it creates opportunities.

Great for agents.

Yep, but it was a bit a of a lifesaver for some. I had 2 people left on that MoO plan N that was GI a year ago.

Husband and wife and she just couldn't move anywhere. He could but refused until I could move them both or she died.

A year ago the increases got too much for him and we moved him and left her with MoO. Saved him about $100/mo even with her's going up because of losing the discount.

That left me with 1 person on MoO's plan N and making hardly nothing since it was almost 7 years old.

She died last week. I hate it for the family but for me, I am finally done with MoO. I have no clients with them now and I am not contracted with them.

I will continue to GI business to them. Or, I should say, refer it to them. But that's business they don't want.

It was actually pretty good if done properly. Anthem's plan F was always priced mid-pack. But they opened it up GI but only for people who had an existing Plan F. So we placed people who had an outrageously priced plan F there. It never had the explosive rate increases because it was always priced fairly high to start with. That one went well.

The MOO plan N was another story. It was priced dirt cheap and would take everyone GI. We would only use that for people completely uninsurable. Couldn't get a Med Sup any other way. I would never in a million years put anyone reasonably healthy on something designed that bad. these were people that were running up huge bills on their Advantage plans. They were thrilled to get it and many stuck with it through the crazy rate hikes because it was still a deal if you use it all the time. Any year that they wanted off we could put them right back into Med Advantage where they started.

Any time there are big changes it creates opportunities.

Enter sman.......................:twitchy:

Back