AHIP Certified Agents - What % (approx) Are They of All Health Insurance Agents ?

irwdav

Hello,

Long time reader of the insurance forums and first time poster. My question is this if anyone can get back with any information they may have come across regarding: Of all the health insurance agents/brokers who sell either health insurance, Medicare Supplement plans or other health related plans - of that total - how many (or what %) actually get AHIP certified and actively offer Medicare Advantage and/or PDP's. I asked at a seminar and the speaker guessed 50% however when he asked a show of hands only about 10% raised their hands (I always thought the figure might be able 1/4). Does anyone know an approximate % ?

New to the forum as well but, been in the industry for 5 years. The number you are asking for isn't really something you can ascertain, as AHIP doesn't provide that data. I'm not sure why anyone would need that data anyways. Network with other agents, ask around, take that sample size and extrapolate from there.

Thanks, if I had to guess I would say 1/4 or about 25%. My question came up while attending a seminar of all health agents and the speaker who heads an FMO was talking about all the agencies and agents he meets with. He said when asked about getting AHIP certified the majority of agencies and agents said they don't bother with it because of:
1) The intensity of the AHIP exam (having to pass with a 90% in 3 tries taking about 2 full weeks of study)
2) Then having to pass individual certifications for about 10 different carriers together with above filling up most of an agents summer with study.
3) Being careful about always being compliant.
etc., etc.

The positives - having a much reduced overall competition with AEP which is perfectly suited for MA plans.

I have noticed that the overall competition out there to make Medicare Supplement sales is extremely intense especially for those turning 65. It's much less intense once you are AHIP certified to be able to offer MA's during the AEP. Most of the traditional methods of marketing such as direct mailers do not seem to be working very well anymore and not all of us are able to make hundreds of cold calls everyday from 4 pm to 8 pm.

So if you do make the sacrifice of time getting AHIP certified to gain an edge its kind of interesting to know you are in a reduced group (% unknown) of agents who have gone the extra mile.

Thanks, if I had to guess I would say 1/4 or about 25%. My question came up while attending a seminar of all health agents and the speaker who heads an FMO was talking about all the agencies and agents he meets with. He said when asked about getting AHIP certified the majority of agencies and agents said they don't bother with it because of:
1) The intensity of the AHIP exam (having to pass with a 90% in 3 tries taking about 2 full weeks of study)
2) Then having to pass individual certifications for about 10 different carriers together with above filling up most of an agents summer with study.
etc., etc.

The positives - having a much reduced overall competition with AEP which is perfectly suited for MA plans.

I have noticed that the overall competition out there to make Medicare Supplement sales is extremely intense especially for those turning 65. It's much less intense once you are AHIP certified to be able to offer MA's during the AEP. Most of the traditional methods of marketing such as direct mailers do not seem to be working very well anymore and not all of us are able to make hundreds of cold calls everyday from 4 pm to 8 pm.

So if you do make the sacrifice of time getting AHIP certified to gain an edge its kind of interesting to know you are in a reduced group (% unknown) of agents who have gone the extra mile.

This post is filled with bad assumptions.

1) ahip takes me a few hours and zero studying.

2). Again you can do all of your carriers in a weekend if you choose.

3)true

People who say direct mail is dead probably just have no clue how to do it right. I've been doing it for over 8 years and it still works great.

etc., etc.

If it takes someone two full weeks to study AHIP and pass the exam, they may need to find another career/ market. I think the very first time I completed AHIP and took the exam it might have taken a few hours. At this point, because of experience, I click through the slides as quickly as possible and get straight to the test. I passed it this year in one try with a 98. Completed it all in maybe an hour.

As for the carrier certifications, they usually don't take more than 1-2 hours depending on how long it takes to get through their slides. I think I did 4 carriers in less than a full day. Still waiting on two carriers to release their course and test and I should be done unless some new carrier pops up and is competitive with their plan.

It's all open book!!! How much easier can a test be??

Last edited:
Back