AHIP Test

To those of you who have taken the test already:

1-How much time to allow for it?
2-Can you take it in parts?
3-Is it open book? I'm assuming so.....

It took a couple of hours because you have to go through each chapter and answer quizzes at the end of each lesson.

You can take the review in parts. Then take the test in one sitting. The test took me about 45 min because I wanted to take my time and make sure I didn't rush and miss a question because I read it wrong. I did not want to take it over.

It isn't an open book unless you take note or print out the screens.

If you have been doing this for a couple years you shouldn't have any problems but they do have a few tricky questions that if you rush may screw with you.

Sure wish I could get CE credits for all these frickin certifications we have to do every year.

Good Luck!:)

Thanks Scott,

I agree.....it's not worth taking a second time so is wise to strive for 100% the first time. These tests are often made up by individuals without a working knowledge of the material, so with all the ambiguous terms questions can actually wrong. IMHO the Coventry PDP has 2 questions which are in error.

Because the companies don't show us their products till so late....all we can do as agents is recertify with any we might use. I'm trying to only take what I'll need this year. I think I'd skip the whole thing this year if it wasn't for havnig to be in position to make changes for my existing block.

Oh for the days before the standardized med sups....when you might ask a prospect if they currently have a supplement, and they'd open their drawer and say...yes...I have 7 of them. LOL

Thanks Scott,

Because the companies don't show us their products till so late....all we can do as agents is recertify with any we might use.

Yeah, it would be nice to compare all the products before you get certified. That way, you may only need to get certified with 2 or 3 carriers.

What they really should do, and this year may be a step in the right direction with this AHIP course, is have one centralized test that certifies you for all carriers. Let's be honest, the questions are pretty much the same among all the carriers tests. The only difference is when a carrier quizzes you on their specific product. Which I'm not really sure is a requirement by CMS.

I have gotten to the point where I advance through the slides as quickly as I am allowed in order to get to the test.

wellcare is now offering AHIP test free and Unicare $50.
Can anyone tell me whether Humana MA pays well and on time ? Thanks I need to know before I go ahead with contracting

Thanks Scott,

... IMHO the Coventry PDP has 2 questions which are in error.

You are not the only one. I pointed this out to Coventry. The problem stems from a training module that purports to allow signing up someone during the OEP that does not have a PDP coming in. Because the training module is wrong, the test question that refers to it is subsequently scored in error.

There is no OEP for MSAs or PDPs, only MA plans.

The ditty that I use (works for me) is: "You can't pick up or drop a PDP during the OEP." Think about it. If you come into the OEP with Rx coverage, you must leave with Rx coverage, and conversely, if you enter the OEP without Rx, you are too late to get it until next AEP.

With MSAs, you simply cannot get one except during your IEP or the AEP.

The test is not open book. You can leave the study guide open, but not sure if you can access it with a single monitor, or whether you can minimize it and open it on the same screen the test is on. I have two monitors, side by side, and had it open on one monitor as I took the test on the other. My test was 155 questions. That varies from test to test.

The study portion and test portion takes an hour or two, even if rush and click thru everything like I did. The practice questions are the same as the exam questions, so as you are taking the exam you will remember the answers verbatim if you have that kind of memory. Do the study and quizes and immediately do the final exam, that way the practice quiz questions are still fresh in your mind, remember they are the same questions.

I started my exam thinking it would be 50 questions. I had to be somewhere in about 90 minutes including shower and drive time, so you can imagine my panic and rush to finish when I discovered I had 155 questions to read and answer. I got a 90 pct. I had the manual open next to me, but no time to go thru it looking for answers so I had to wing it.

The test isn't easy, but if this isn't your first season selling MA then it will be familiar material and answers.

wellcare is now offering AHIP test free and Unicare $50.
Can anyone tell me whether Humana MA pays well and on time ? Thanks I need to know before I go ahead with contracting

Wellcare doesn't even care if you take AHIP and doesn't pay for it.

The Wellcare part II test has a wrong answer also.

During a sales presentation for a Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) product, brokers and agents are prohibited from doing which of the following?
Clearly communicating the nature of the provider or network restrictions associated with the PFFS plan
Clarifying that providers have the option of providing services on a visit-by-visit basis
Describing the plan’s service area
Offering the beneficiary money in exchange for the enrollment application [FONT=&quot](incorrect;correct answer is Clarifying that providers have the option of providing services on a visit-by-visit basis)[/FONT]

Unless I'm wrong, Wellcare is saying that I can offer money to get people to enroll:D

Wellcare doesn't even care if you take AHIP and doesn't pay for it.

The Wellcare part II test has a wrong answer also.

During a sales presentation for a Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) product, brokers and agents are prohibited from doing which of the following?
Clearly communicating the nature of the provider or network restrictions associated with the PFFS plan
Clarifying that providers have the option of providing services on a visit-by-visit basis
Describing the plan’s service area
Offering the beneficiary money in exchange for the enrollment application [FONT=&quot](incorrect;correct answer is Clarifying that providers have the option of providing services on a visit-by-visit basis)[/FONT]

Unless I'm wrong, Wellcare is saying that I can offer money to get people to enroll:D

I don't know how you read the question, but it seems to me that the only prohibited action (incorrect answer) is the last one. Answers 1, 2, and 3 are correct,... answer 4 would satisfy the question as asked.

If you answered that 4 is incorrect, and they wanted #2 as a correct response, then the test is wrong. It is not uncommon for test makers to screw up their own tests!!!

Last edited:
I don't know how you read the question, but it seems to me that the only prohibited action (incorrect answer) is the last one. Answers 1, 2, and 3 are correct,... answer 4 would satisfy the question as asked.

If you answered that 4 is incorrect, and they wanted #2 as a correct response, then the test is wrong. It is not uncommon for test makers to screw up their own tests!!!

Exactly, 4 was my answer and they are saying its wrong clarifying that providers have the option of providing services on a visit-by-visit basis.

I had to read it several times when I got it wrong thinking I read it incorrectly.;)

I did email them about this error. I passed the test anyway but that one mistake on their part may have someone having to take it again.

Humana had several questions that had multiple correct answers. It was kind of like choosing which ugly girl you want to pickup. You had to find the one that was the least disgusting.

(Okay, that was sexist so if you're offended, change "girl" to "guy.")

Back