AHIP Test

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Trying to get a logical answer, and not being very successful. I'm trying to find out:

1. Does the AHIP Test cost $100, no matter what company I go through?

2. Once I take the AHIP Test, can that be transferrable to any other company I certify with?

Never have I been involved in such an industry, whereby those who are supposed to know, know absolutely nothing.

I didn't pay anything for it.

I hear the length of the test varies. Some had 25 questions, I had 155.

Trying to get a logical answer, and not being very successful. I'm trying to find out:

2. Once I take the AHIP Test, can that be transferrable to any other company I certify with?

Never have I been involved in such an industry, whereby those who are supposed to know, know absolutely nothing.

Apparently, it depends on the carrier whether you have to pay for it. I know about 6 agents that have taken it and half had to pay. The ones that paid are all Humana agents.

They all said it was a terrible pain in the ass to take. I haven't had to take it to re-certify with Pyramid, Coventry and UHC. Nor have I had to pay any fees. The only other company I'm going to re-certify for is Wellcare. I don't know if they are going to use the AHIP or not.

All the ones that have taken it say that it is transferable to any company that is using it.

1. Yes it costs $100, however, some companies or IMOs will reimburse you after placing a certain number of enrollments with/through them. Plus I attended a group certification event where an Aetna rep was logging on for some with some kind of secret code numbers that waived the fee. So it looks like carriers have the ability to do that. I had already taken it at home and paid the $100.

2. Yes you can have your certification sent to any company that requires it.

Just received an e-mail yesterday from Humana, that they will be waiving the AHIP $100 fee.

Now I'll take the test.

Any tips, other than taking copious notes, on how to pass it?

I'm afraid that they'll pay for the first attempt, but not subsequent ones.

Did I see someone mention that it's a timed test?

(I'm very old fashioned. I believe in writing things down, even nowadays, doing it on the computer)

#1, as for being back, just dipping my toe in the water.

To those of you who have taken the test already:

1-How much time to allow for it?
2-Can you take it in parts?
3-Is it open book? I'm assuming so.....

Just received an e-mail yesterday from Humana, that they will be waiving the AHIP $100 fee.

Now I'll take the test.

Any tips, other than taking copious notes, on how to pass it?

I'm afraid that they'll pay for the first attempt, but not subsequent ones.

Did I see someone mention that it's a timed test?

(I'm very old fashioned. I believe in writing things down, even nowadays, doing it on the computer)

#1, as for being back, just dipping my toe in the water.

I took it about a week ago and didn't take any notes. Same old crap you already know if you've been in the business a while ( and I know you have). I don't recall how long it took me to take it, but it wasn't that long. I think I had 50 questions.

What sucks is the fact that I took it through Aetna (because they had the cheapest rate - $50) and then I get the email yesterday that Humana is now not charging anything. Not sure if Aetna will reimburse or not at this point. Oh well, just $50 right?

The test results will carry over to the other carriers. You just have to login to the AHIP site under each carriers login and it will ask you if you want to report the scores to that particular carrier. Good luck.

Back