AHIPs Commissioned Report on Affects of ACA for 2014

Spud

Expert
Hi, I just finished reading AHIPs commissioned report on potential effects of ACA for 2014; quite a forecast. This report is available here: Issue Alert: CMS

Has anyone seen a similar report done for Medigap? The NAIC November 30 response to CMS requested no-changes, but CMS appears to be influenced by information NAIC feels is being misinterpreted. Holler if you have seen such and please provide the source.

What kind of report are you looking for with med supps. They are not funded by Medicare and won't have the same cuts.

There was talk some time ago about eliminating first dollar coverage with Medigap but I do not see that gaining traction. Any elected official that signed on to such legislation would be also signing their ticket out of office.

MA plans are easier to manipulate. Since they change every year, seniors can expect changes to their plans. Medigaps are far more stable (were standardized in 1997, received new plans in 2010, but if you had an old policy you could keep it). So, even when there were changes, many did not know. Very different with MA plans.

Plus, MA plans are the big greedy insurance companies. Not like Medigap...(insert joke here)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The proposed changes would be a 15% tax on C, F and G plans as well as a surcharge for their Part B premium to go into effect 2017. This of course could change depending on who is in the White House in 2016...

Last edited:
the cms suggested some revisions to plan c and f (copays, etc) and NAIC responded on 11/30/12; cms was suggesting implementation of medigap plan changes in the 'near future'; i was looking for an update on this discussion.

Back