AARP Increases Membership Dues

Not that I want to get into the middle of this (I don't), however, I have sent clients to Rick and he has done a very good job for them. They are very complimentary about Rick, his approach, and his product and market knowledge. I will continue to send him clients for services I don't provide (especially for seniors) and would have no hesitation in recommending him. All feedback I have received so far has been very positive about Rick.

That's good to hear. I get one or two PMs each time Rick's anger and foulness explodes on this forum... about why this guy is so off-the-wall. I'm glad your clients have had good service from Rick. I had a different (disastrous) outcome the one time I tried to work with him.

I'm not an expert on what is called bi-polar disease, but you have to admit that Rick has some issues when it comes to social interaction in this venue. Perhaps in the real world he's a pussycat as opposed to the wild animal he is here. Maybe I just caught him in a bad week.

And by the way, folks. I know who Dave is and a recommendation from him should NOT be taken lightly. Dave is a good judge of character, has been in this biz longer than all of us combined, and has forgotten more about health and life coverage than all of us have ever known. If Dave vouches for Rick, that means something. I don't understand it... but I would not dare disagree with Dave on it.

He is MY go-to guy when I need help and if he "stands up" for Rick, then you have to consider it. I only know what I know. Dave knows a lot more (about everything) than I do. Maybe Rick is not the "evil empire" in real life with others that he was with me and seems to be in the ether.

Balance is a good thing. People should hear all sides. I believe Sam and John P. have also done biz with Rick without complication. So maybe there is some redeeming value with this man. I don't see it. I think Rick is a bad man... but if Dave and others disagree, it is obviously worth considering.

I stand by what I say (out in the open and not cloaked.) But I read Ricks postings and witness his anger toward me and others... and knowing what I know from past experience, I can only tell you my opinion of the man. If Dave and others have a different view, you folks should take that into serious consideration and make up your own mind.

More than once I've held out the olive branch to Rick, but all he's ever done is stick it up my .... . I don't know how to deal with him... except to reply to him in the same manner as he attacks me. He just never stops.... and because of it... I don't either. He likes it. I used to... but it's old... it's really very, very old now.

Come on Al! I'm feeling neglected over here. Forget Rick and vent on me for a while.

Tell me that part again about how I'm a young spring chicken and your "older people" friends wouldn't take me seriously.

This is true, but the AARP supps are no better or worse in the long run than any other.

I don't mean to take you offline and detract from your rant by making a business point right in the middle but supps are all the same only once you are enrolled in them. Otherwise, getting in/underwriting is another matter, and the waiting period on pre-existing conditions is also another important variable factor. When you compare an AARP supp to others there can be major pluses and minuses in those areas in comparison.

Last edited:
I don't mean to take you offline and detract from your rant by making a business point right in the middle but supps are all the same only once you are enrolled in them. Otherwise, getting in/underwriting is another matter, and the waiting period on pre-existing conditions is also another important variable factor. When you compare an AARP supp to others there can be major pluses and minuses in those areas in comparison.

Yeah, you sure know how to kill a good rant and flame war. :D

Your point is well stated and accurate. The only supps I've written have been GI for newly retired business people over 65 coming off of group... and these are folks I've written life/annuity (SPWL or a SPIA, etc.) or (small) group for... so the relationship already existed.

I've never heard anyone bitch about their AARP MA or supp plans and I don't spend a lot of time chasing people who already have life/health coverage when there are so many (more?) who don't. Replacement of life can be a sticky-wicket compliance-wise so I don't go there. Replacement of supp often means underwriting (except on b-day month) and it is not my area of interest. I like group health and buy-sell life/DI and special-needs trust cases (along with a lawyer I work with.) There aren't as many guys in my area who do buy-sell cases... but of course there are not as many cases either.

It's all about what you like to do... and med-supp is not something that gets me too excited. I prefer to work with my GA and a lawyer on case design for a buy-sell client. The work is interesting and the pay is pretty good. I'm studying how life settlements can be part of the mix (or stand-alone.)

Everyone and their dog is selling health in my area. There is a shortage of good life/DI agents, so that's a good thing too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Come on Al! I'm feeling neglected over here. Forget Rick and vent on me for a while.

Tell me that part again about how I'm a young spring chicken and your "older people" friends wouldn't take me seriously.

I don't know exactly where Henderson, KY is but I've driven from Louisville to St. Louis and I seem to remember there being an exit for it about half way... which is in middle of nowhere by CA or New York standards (there is no "no where" in CA... it's wall-to-wall people and cars here.)

And I don't know the demographics of your area but I know that on the whole, rural KY is not exactly the intellectual capital of the world. So I'm sure that whatever you do out there... calling older people "seniors" works fine.

My point is that if you were in my area... it wouldn't. Of course in my area you can't marry your sister either. :D (But I think you can marry your brother!!!!)

Newby... do what you want to do. Just PLEASE don't call me a "senior citizen." Is that too much to ask?

Let's just all try to get along... after all, just how important IS the AARP in the great scheme of things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you sure know how to kill a good rant and flame war. :D

Your point is well stated and accurate. The only supps I've written have been GI for newly retired business people over 65 coming off of group... and these are folks I've written life/annuity (SPWL or a SPIA, etc.) or (small) group for... so the relationship already existed.

I've never heard anyone bitch about their AARP MA or supp plans and I don't spend a lot of time chasing people who already have life/health coverage when there are so many (more?) who don't. Replacement of life can be a sticky-wicket compliance-wise so I don't go there. Replacement of supp often means underwriting (except on b-day month) and it is not my area of interest. I like group health and buy-sell life/DI and special-needs trust cases (along with a lawyer I work with.) There aren't as many guys in my area who do buy-sell cases... but of course there are not as many cases either.

It's all about what you like to do... and med-supp is not something that gets me too excited. I prefer to work with my GA and a lawyer on case design for a buy-sell client. The work is interesting and the pay is pretty good. I'm studying how life settlements can be part of the mix (or stand-alone.)

Everyone and their dog is selling health in my area. There is a shortage of good life/DI agents, so that's a good thing too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know exactly where Henderson, KY is but I've driven from Louisville to St. Louis and I seem to remember there being an exit for it about half way... which is in middle of nowhere by CA or New York standards (there is no "no where" in CA... it's wall-to-wall people and cars here.)

And I don't know the demographics of your area but I know that on the whole, rural KY is not exactly the intellectual capital of the world. So I'm sure that whatever you do out there... calling older people "seniors" works fine.

My point is that if you were in my area... it wouldn't. Of course in my area you can't marry your sister either. :D (But I think you can marry your brother!!!!)

Newby... do what you want to do. Just PLEASE don't call me a "senior citizen." Is that too much to ask?

Let's just all try to get along... after all, just how important IS the AARP in the great scheme of things?

Why shoot Al! You came all the way from Cal-a-forney to Looey-ville? Whad ya come fer the annual watermellon seed spitting contest or the Lil Abner look-alike contest?

You shudda told me you was acommin and Ida inerduced you to my sister-wife and my uncle-brother.

When you book-learned people from Cali-fornry come to town we roll out the red carpet. Let us know the next time you have some biznes round these here parts.

Why shoot Al! You came all the way from Cal-a-forney to Looey-ville? Whad ya come fer the annual watermellon seed spitting contest or the Lil Abner look-alike contest?

You shudda told me you was acommin and Ida inerduced you to my sister-wife and my uncle-brother.

When you book-learned people from Cali-fornry come to town we roll out the red carpet. Let us know the next time you have some biznes round these here parts.
And I'm sure you couldn't afford to live in Al's neighborhood either! You guys in the sticks still go to school in one room?

Rick

Hey Guys,

Don't know about the insurance but my AARP discounts on hotel rooms, rental cars and eyeglasses have my membership fees covered for many years to come.

Got a $1,000 rebate on a Lincoln about 6 years ago by quick joining AARP. Yeah, I guess that will pay a bit of dues for some time to come.

Back