Any Legitimate Respectable Call Center Jobs in the Houston Area??

saltlife

Hello All,

First of all , thank you to all the members that post on here, I have learned so much!!

I tried posting this before , but it never took, so if it shows as a double thread , my apologies.

So I need a little advice.

I am still looking at going the independent route , but wondering since I am in Houston with all the devastation here if buying leads through DM and /or TM leads will be viable for the next 3-6 months . I looking at working the 65+ healthcare field , and wondering if really anyone will be interested in insurance with all that is going on ??- Even if it is their healthcare. I would think the life insurance would be even harder for a while to get traction.

I do have a small cushion

4 months of expenses saved
6k additional for leads to start
no debt
20k of credit via credit cards with 18months 0% interest.
NO KIDS !!
awesome wife with stable good job that can actually float all the bills if need be for a while and is backing me 100%

only 50k between the both of us in 401k retirement accounts -- both 42 years old .

I am wondering if there really is a reputable call center in the Houston area that might be a wise choice to start instead since things are so bad here for the foreseeable future.

I do understand and agree with the no risk no reward concept and realize working for a call center and getting licensed in multiple states will drastically reduce the commission structure , but no leads means no business no matter where you are located.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Being so new it is scary going independent in this area and realize that no one is sending back Dm or Tm leads are hard to come buy

Thanks everyone

Hello All,

First of all , thank you to all the members that post on here, I have learned so much!!

I tried posting this before , but it never took, so if it shows as a double thread , my apologies.

I am still looking at going the independent route , but wondering since I am in Houston with all the devastation here if buying leads through DM and /or TM leads will be viable for the next 3-6 months . I looking at working the 65+ healthcare field , and wondering if really anyone will be interested in insurance with all that is going on ??- Even if it is their healthcare. I would think the life insurance would be even harder for a while to get traction.

no debt
NO KIDS !!
awesome wife with stable good job that can actually float all the bills if need be for a while and is backing me 100%

only 50k between the both of us in 401k retirement accounts -- both 42 years old .

I am wondering if there really is a reputable call center in the Houston area that might be a wise choice to start instead since things are so bad here for the foreseeable future.

I do understand and agree with the no risk no reward concept and realize working for a call center and getting licensed in multiple states will drastically reduce the commission structure , but no leads means no business no matter where you are located.

Being so new it is scary going independent in this area and realize that no one is sending back Dm or Tm leads are hard to come buy

Thanks everyone
Man, I'm sorry for everything y'all are dealing with. I don't know about call centers there. But why not work some inland areas that are in better shape? Lead response should still be the same a little north of you where they weren't affected as much. A lot of agents in the senior market do some traveling.

Hello All,

no debt
NO KIDS !!

Thanks everyone

Look for local area Medicare brokerage agencies that will hire and train you. This way you can be an independent agent offering all plan options that are viable in your area and get the education and training that you need. Make sure that the agency you work for will provide you with constant lead support. This is VERY important.

Most agencies will take a cut of your commissions and commissions in this industry are very small. Agencies that have a high level of industry production do get slightly higher commission rates than do independent street agents but not that much more. Expect to make between 40% to 60% of commissions and the rest goes to your agency that you are a sub-agent with.

Now this is important for you to understand as well: Since the agency is giving you lead support, the clients that you get while working for them are NOT your clients. They are the agency's clients and when you leave to go fully independent you will NOT be able to contact those clients and move them. If your prior agency finds out you are moving THEIR book of business, they will take you to court and sue you and they will win.

When you go solo you will be starting with 0 clients and you will have to start over again a new book of business, but you will have the experience and knowledge needed to make a self employed solo practice work.

You will also need a 6 month break in writing business if you wish to transfer your licensing from being a sub-agent of a brokerage firm to going independent or the insurance carriers won't reappoint you as a solo practice due to possible conflicts of interest.

From what I hear down in Texas, Medicare Advantage plans are terrible and most major hospitals aren't in the networks so the majority of Medicare sales in Texas are Medigap plans.

Another option is to become a captive agent for a major insurance carrier and you only sell that company's plans. If you go this route, make sure you pick a competitive carrier that has good rates and is popular in your area though. Usually insurance carriers will pay salary plus commission and they can also give you the training you need; however, you only have 1 option for your prospects so it will be harder to close if your prospect wants to shop around the competition. This is why you must do good research to make sure you are working for a competitive insurance carrier. Stay away from Banker's Life if possible. I know Banker's Life will hire anyone as a captive agent, but that company has a very bad reputation because of that reason.

Regarding the post-flood Houston problem, you may want to move to central Texas if possible. I don't know how bad that area will remain and that issue alone could cause you problems kick starting your career. Good luck because 92% of insurance agents fail within the first 3 years and in the Medicare only realm that percentage is higher due to the small commissions we make and ridiculous CMS regulations on marketing C and D plans, but that is offset with residuals if you can make it to start. Your first 1 to 2 years will be very rough financially. Work on getting your cost of living down as low as possible and you have to be obsessed with making it and never giving up.

If you smoke cigarettes, you can save yourself $2,000 per year if you stop buying manufactured cigarettes and roll your own pipe tobacco. 80% of the cost of manufactured cigarettes is State taxes, but the States don't tax pipe tobacco like they do cigarette tobacco and the only difference between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco is the way the tobacco is cut. I went from spending $210 per month on cigs to $35 per month rolling my own. If you smoke Marbs or Camels, try OHM pipe tobacco. I can hardly tell the difference. Hot Rod Tubes are a great filter brand as well. It will take you about 1 hour to roll 20 cigarettes, but well worth the time investment. Roll your cigarettes while watching sales and Medicare training videos on Youtube.

One of the best sales tips I can give you is to be more concerned with helping other people than you are making a lot of money in this industry. If your intentions are inverted, your prospects can sense that and they won't trust you. You need a genuine passion for helping others save money.

This Inside Edition is a hit piece and is not 100% accurate but here is a fun video about Banker's Life:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

Some people have suggested I reach out to Bevo on here -- does anyone have contact info or point me in the right direction??

Thanks for the info.

Some people have suggested I reach out to Bevo on here -- does anyone have contact info or point me in the right direction??

I think Bevo is a myth! Actually, no I don't pretty sure I found what he does online.

Look for local area Medicare brokerage agencies that will hire and train you. This way you can be an independent agent offering all plan options that are viable in your area and get the education and training that you need. Make sure that the agency you work for will provide you with constant lead support. This is VERY important.

Most agencies will take a cut of your commissions and commissions in this industry are very small. Agencies that have a high level of industry production do get slightly higher commission rates than do independent street agents but not that much more. Expect to make between 40% to 60% of commissions and the rest goes to your agency that you are a sub-agent with.

Now this is important for you to understand as well: Since the agency is giving you lead support, the clients that you get while working for them are NOT your clients. They are the agency's clients and when you leave to go fully independent you will NOT be able to contact those clients and move them. If your prior agency finds out you are moving THEIR book of business, they will take you to court and sue you and they will win.

When you go solo you will be starting with 0 clients and you will have to start over again a new book of business, but you will have the experience and knowledge needed to make a self employed solo practice work.

You will also need a 6 month break in writing business if you wish to transfer your licensing from being a sub-agent of a brokerage firm to going independent or the insurance carriers won't reappoint you as a solo practice due to possible conflicts of interest.

From what I hear down in Texas, Medicare Advantage plans are terrible and most major hospitals aren't in the networks so the majority of Medicare sales in Texas are Medigap plans.

Another option is to become a captive agent for a major insurance carrier and you only sell that company's plans. If you go this route, make sure you pick a competitive carrier that has good rates and is popular in your area though. Usually insurance carriers will pay salary plus commission and they can also give you the training you need; however, you only have 1 option for your prospects so it will be harder to close if your prospect wants to shop around the competition. This is why you must do good research to make sure you are working for a competitive insurance carrier. Stay away from Banker's Life if possible. I know Banker's Life will hire anyone as a captive agent, but that company has a very bad reputation because of that reason.

Regarding the post-flood Houston problem, you may want to move to central Texas if possible. I don't know how bad that area will remain and that issue alone could cause you problems kick starting your career. Good luck because 92% of insurance agents fail within the first 3 years and in the Medicare only realm that percentage is higher due to the small commissions we make and ridiculous CMS regulations on marketing C and D plans, but that is offset with residuals if you can make it to start. Your first 1 to 2 years will be very rough financially. Work on getting your cost of living down as low as possible and you have to be obsessed with making it and never giving up.

If you smoke cigarettes, you can save yourself $2,000 per year if you stop buying manufactured cigarettes and roll your own pipe tobacco. 80% of the cost of manufactured cigarettes is State taxes, but the States don't tax pipe tobacco like they do cigarette tobacco and the only difference between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco is the way the tobacco is cut. I went from spending $210 per month on cigs to $35 per month rolling my own. If you smoke Marbs or Camels, try OHM pipe tobacco. I can hardly tell the difference. Hot Rod Tubes are a great filter brand as well. It will take you about 1 hour to roll 20 cigarettes, but well worth the time investment. Roll your cigarettes while watching sales and Medicare training videos on Youtube.

One of the best sales tips I can give you is to be more concerned with helping other people than you are making a lot of money in this industry. If your intentions are inverted, your prospects can sense that and they won't trust you. You need a genuine passion for helping others save money.

This Inside Edition is a hit piece and is not 100% accurate but here is a fun video about Banker's Life: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8qRMv994Y

Are you being serious or are you Punking all of us....

Back