Any Medicare Plan in the Country who Covers Clients with ESRD?

Neill7

I have a client in Florida with ESRD.
Is there any MA plan in Florida OR ANY MED SUPP IN THE COUNTRY that covers a client with ESRD?

His Life really does depend on it....

The only exception I'm aware of is if they are currently on a group health plan and that the carrier offers an MA plan, i.e., currently has BCBS group health and switches to BCBS MA.

Is Medicaid an option? You may also want to check this out if you haven't already: http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10128.pdf

Even if he could get an MA plan there would be a high copay for dialysis - usually the same 20% as on Medicare.

And at least in CA (probably the same in FL) ESRD is a knockout even on GI for U65.

In some places there are specific MA plans for ESRD. We have one in CA. If his life really depends on it he might consider moving to the Los Angeles area.

Rick

Actually, in FL, Humana pays 100% for Dialysis as long as you get it done at a Dialysis Center and Not the Hospital. But you cant get the plan if you have ESRD before applying.

but to your point, even if there were a 20% copay, EVERY MA PLAN HAS A MAXIMUM out of pocket. Government Medicare Part B does Not have a Max.
so, he'll pay 20% until he's broke. and his income is still too high to qualify for Medicaid. So, he'll be financially ruined by this.

----------

Thanks for the book,
I'll read it and send it to him also.
Better to have all of the facts.
I appreciate it.

Actually, in FL, Humana pays 100% for Dialysis as long as you get it done at a Dialysis Center and Not the Hospital. But you cant get the plan if you have ESRD before applying.

but to your point, even if there were a 20% copay, EVERY MA PLAN HAS A MAXIMUM out of pocket. Government Medicare Part B does Not have a Max.
so, he'll pay 20% until he's broke. and his income is still too high to qualify for Medicaid. So, he'll be financially ruined by this.

----------

Thanks for the book,
I'll read it and send it to him also.
Better to have all of the facts.
I appreciate it.

Most of the folks I have dealt with who have had esrd, while covered on an MA plan have been able to get help from charities,foundations etc. so for someone w/o additional coverage it should be even easier to qualify.The dialysis center should be able to hook them up with one of the these.They have an incentive to do so because they want to be paid

Are they new to Medicare???

It won't help for an MA nor for a supplement if he's under 65. I'm guessing if he was T65 this thread wouldn't have started.

BTW, I tried to work with Caremore years ago. They "gave" me 13 centers to visit. They did not have one doctor at any of them.

Rick

Are they new to Medicare???

Yes, he's New to Medicare.
the question about ESRD is still on every app that I know of.

are there any that you know of that dont require the client to answer that question?

----------

It won't help for an MA nor for a supplement if he's under 65. I'm guessing if he was T65 this thread wouldn't have started.

BTW, I tried to work with Caremore years ago. They "gave" me 13 centers to visit. They did not have one doctor at any of them.

Rick

he IS T65.
which companies will write it without asking about ESRD?

Latest posts

Back