AON Strikes Again!!!

Biggest challenge in these cases is the employee-employer relationship. For years the employer has provided 1st class benefits at little charge to the employee. The employees view the relationship as paternalistic and trust the employer (and in this case, Aon) to do what is right for them.

Breaking that trust can be difficult and many times the retiree will take the word of the Aon rep over you, the agent. It may not matter that you are telling the truth and sometimes they won't even take your word when given proof in writing from the HRA guidelines.

I see a similar relationship in teachers that have worked in the govt school system for years. They think they must transition from employer group to employer sponsored retiree health insurance.

I have some ATT retirees and some from the school system. Some you can convert and make clients, others listen to their co-workers and the folks that are running the retiree plan.

You have to decide if it is worth your time to reel them in or not.

Biggest challenge in these cases is the employee-employer relationship. For years the employer has provided 1st class benefits at little charge to the employee. The employees view the relationship as paternalistic and trust the employer (and in this case, Aon) to do what is right for them.

Breaking that trust can be difficult and many times the retiree will take the word of the Aon rep over you, the agent. It may not matter that you are telling the truth and sometimes they won't even take your word when given proof in writing from the HRA guidelines.

I see a similar relationship in teachers that have worked in the govt school system for years. They think they must transition from employer group to employer sponsored retiree health insurance.

I have some ATT retirees and some from the school system. Some you can convert and make clients, others listen to their co-workers and the folks that are running the retiree plan.

You have to decide if it is worth your time to reel them in or not.

^^That is exactly the problem. Very well explained.:yes:

I did a ton of these a year ago with another exchange. But in that case I had an "in" that got that big problem handled for me. Handled is the wrong word, they blazed a trail for me and made it much easier since they were referring me from the inside.

I enrolled a woman into a Humana Gold Plus for a T65 February 2017 effective back in November. When she told me that she was an ATT retiree, I asked her if she had received any paperwork from them. She said NO, so I continued with the application process. Today, she told me that AON contacted her to advise her of a $2,400/yr stipend for her healthcare provided that she goes through them (of course). I told her that she must buy ONE product to receive the stipend. She will (of course) listen to their unknowledgeable flunky and go from there. What kind of products can she buy through them to use up her $2,400/yr? Does she get to keep CASH if she doesn't use all of it?

I just did this with a couple. Male - very healthy - he wanted $29 MAPD - so got him Dental thru AON and MAPD thru me. Female - went on Med Sup - so got PDP thru AON and Med Sup thru me.

Dozens of referrals from them to work next month. Moving most that have MAPD's to Med Sups thru me and the PDP thru AON.

AON also has cheap Vision plan to use to qualify as the "one purchase".

In my cases - 50% of their unused balance rolls over for a max of 2 years.

----------

They do not get any leftover month. So if the sup and the PDP are less than the allowance they could buy something else like vision or dental. It's a use it or lose it deal.

In my 2 recent cases - they had rollover. 50% of balance rolled for a max of 2 years is how theirs is structured.

I just did this with a couple. Male - very healthy - he wanted $29 MAPD - so got him Dental thru AON and MAPD thru me. Female - went on Med Sup - so got PDP thru AON and Med Sup thru me.

Dozens of referrals from them to work next month. Moving most that have MAPD's to Med Sups thru me and the PDP thru AON.

AON also has cheap Vision plan to use to qualify as the "one purchase".

In my cases - 50% of their unused balance rolls over for a max of 2 years.

----------

In my 2 recent cases - they had rollover. 50% of balance rolled for a max of 2 years is how theirs is structured.

It will be whatever the contract they have with the exchange is. The GE employee exchange does not roll over.

It will be whatever the contract they have with the exchange is. The GE employee exchange does not roll over.

Makes sense. Your advice in another thread was very helpful in understanding AON. They make it so confusing for the Retiree. Almost like they do it on purpose . . .

Aon is only the administrator. The folks the retirees speak with have no clue what they are doing or what the requirements are.

Each contract is different from company to company regardless of the consulting firm.

JD you caught a break. I heard of a similar situation where the agent generated information that was shared on an "insiders" bulletin board. Those kind of breaks are what we all hope for.

Good job.

Here is the link.........

I think they have changed from the way they were at first. Notice is says that the amount of the HRA account can be altered by what type of plan you enroll in. This is what they are telling a client of mine. They told him that he would only get ~$600 if all he had was dental/vision. Seems they may be tired of losing money and going to a new standard that forces/scares clients to keep their plans with them.

I think they have changed from the way they were at first. Notice is says that the amount of the HRA account can be altered by what type of plan you enroll in. This is what they are telling a client of mine. They told him that he would only get ~$600 if all he had was dental/vision. Seems they may be tired of losing money and going to a new standard that forces/scares clients to keep their plans with them.

Thank you for posting. Your similar comments in another thread as well as what you referenced in DS4's post were what I had in mind with my previous post. I was hesitant to make further comment because of my position in the forum.

Last edited:
Back