AON Strikes Again!!!

may be tired of losing money

Aon is paid handsomely for landing the fish. Commissions generate via sales are icing on the cake. I doubt they are losing money by only selling PDP, dental or vision on a few cases but they aren't making as much as they would prefer.

I realize the agents on this forum are a small subset of the whole, but I would be surprised if agents have written enough business to make a noticeable dent in Aon's gravy train.

By choice, I only worked those who were in their initial enrollment period. I had no desire to work with GI folks. I won a few clients, lost a few. All in all I did OK but not enough to encourage me to focus on that market.

There is so much variation between deals they have worked, no way to know if what I have will be better for them unless I have the plan documents in front of me. Would rather focus on other people, I don't seek this business out either.

1. Aon is contracted with quite a number of companies that are transitioning their retirees into the individual medicare market. The HRA's work differently with each client, so the reimbursement amounts and how they can use it are different.
With AT&T... for now, each retiree gets $2700. If they are married, their spouse receives $1500. So, for a couple, that would be $4200. That is a pool of money that can be used by either person.
So, if the retiree only uses $1000 during the year, then the spouse has $3200 at their disposal. Any money left in the HRA at the end of the year, rolls over to the next year... for now. That could change, so I recommend they spend it while they have it. You never know when AT&T will change the rules.
Keep in mind, if both husband AND wife are AT&T retirees... then they EACH receive $2700 and they are separate accounts. Also keep in mind, the HRA monies can only be used for specific purposes and they have to submit proof of payment and then get reimbursed.

2. There is no penalty, as long as they enroll in either the Medicare plan OR the Rx plan thru Aon on their exchange. But if they ever cancel that enrollment, they lose their HRA eligibility.

3. It's my understanding that as long as they enroll in their Medicare plan through Aon, then they can use the auto-reimbursement option. Otherwise, they have to request the reimbursements manually each month.

4. The reimbursements can be used for plan premiums as well as their Medicare Part B premium.

The AT&T deal is one of the better ones I have heard of through AON. Many of the others don't have roll over, and will not reimburse for anything purchased outside

I have a relative who is an AT&T retiree.

I can't compete with the 4200 a year for her and her spouse. They get their MAPD paid for and all OOP copays and RX I think, plus dental and vision completely paid for, and they still have funds rolling over every year. I don't think they use them for the Part B, maybe I should suggest that they do that in case the rollover feature goes away...

1. Aon is contracted with quite a number of companies that are transitioning their retirees into the individual medicare market. The HRA's work differently with each client, so the reimbursement amounts and how they can use it are different.
With AT&T... for now, each retiree gets $2700. If they are married, their spouse receives $1500. So, for a couple, that would be $4200. That is a pool of money that can be used by either person.
So, if the retiree only uses $1000 during the year, then the spouse has $3200 at their disposal. Any money left in the HRA at the end of the year, rolls over to the next year... for now. That could change, so I recommend they spend it while they have it. You never know when AT&T will change the rules.
Keep in mind, if both husband AND wife are AT&T retirees... then they EACH receive $2700 and they are separate accounts. Also keep in mind, the HRA monies can only be used for specific purposes and they have to submit proof of payment and then get reimbursed.

2. There is no penalty, as long as they enroll in either the Medicare plan OR the Rx plan thru Aon on their exchange. But if they ever cancel that enrollment, they lose their HRA eligibility.

3. It's my understanding that as long as they enroll in their Medicare plan through Aon, then they can use the auto-reimbursement option. Otherwise, they have to request the reimbursements manually each month.

4. The reimbursements can be used for plan premiums as well as their Medicare Part B premium.

From what you recall, were the Med Supp options a good bang for the buck or higher priced? I'm going to call my AON prospects just to get a feel for them.

Back