Association Member Benefits Advisors

First I have no knowledge of this company but wanted to post about the benefits or lack therof of being endorsed by a union...I currently work the 403(b) market. Currently the NEA endorses Security Benefit for 403(b)s, I am in Maine and the Maine Educators Association the state level for NEA endorses Metlife for Financial Planning, Horaceman for DI and the company the endorse for 403(b)s currently exscapes me because other than scooping up fees from the carriers these endorsements do little to nothing. The teachers can and do deal with many 403(b) providers and are very unaware of the endorsements...So if you think a union endorsement will make the sales process easy think again.

I got involved with these guys about 6 years ago when I was making the transition from Agent recruitment to field agent.

PROS-

If you are a new agent looking for solid training you might consider these guys. I think back then the training was 5 days in Austin, TX. Very centered on LTC sales training which is a valuable yet intimidating product for most new agents.

Their association affiliations, while maybe questionalble, will get you into quite a few doors.

My manager dropped mail for us once a month but that may have been a manager by manager decision and not the norm.

Good field support. If you need "hand-holding" in the field or extra training, these guys will provide it.

CONS-

The contracts are among the worst out there.

You will not walk away with renewals after working with this company.

I worked there for 6 months and the experience wasn't horrible. After 6 months I was ready to get some better contracts with different companies and send out my own mailers and make my own calls.

I've worked with AMBA for 5 years...they are the endorsed provider for 26 state retired teacher associations in the U.S. I've read this forum and much of it is true, some not true. AMBA was formed by the Retired Ex-President of United Teacher Associates Ins Co in 1999. He sold UTA (after starting UTA in 1981) to Great American Life Ins Co at that time, but wanted to keep his sales force so he formed AMBA. We are a captive niche marketing agency focused on LTCi, Annuities, Cancer, Final Expense, and Med Supps. Sales reps here don't pay a dime for the leads (which are fully provided). Lead generation is paid by the sales managers and AMBA. The commissions are lower than many other contracts out there, so if commission rates are all you are looking for, other companies pay higher rates of comm. But, if someone is looking for free leads and a structured sales system to actually get you into 20 doors a week...this could be a good fit for you. As far as the residuals being garbage, they are probably not going to be large after only working here for 6 mos (for whoever posted that) but they are competitive. I am very happy with my residuals so far! ($10-11k per month after only being here 5 yrs). We also advance commissions weekly on submitted business in addition to residuals! AMBA is a very ethical company committed to the success of its sales reps. In the last 5 years they have done everything they told me they would do, and then some. I got lucky and found a good company! I also understand that there are some associations that are loosely organized and an "endorsement" from them doesn't mean much. Not the case here. Without the 26 state retired teacher endorsements we have we would be just another agency struggling for leads. We deeply value our retired teacher endorsements and they love us because of all the new members we bring them in the process. It is a win win for both. I would be happy to answer any other questions that anyone might have with a straight answer!

Actually what I said was "you will not walk away with renewals..."

Check to see what your contract says about "vesting"

I agree that it is a very good captive agency with a very good hook to get agents into doors.

TOP NOTCH longterm care training.

At the end of the day, it's still a captive agency.

Not knocking it, the captive thing just isn't for me.

Last edited:
moonlightandmargaritas vbmenu_register("postmenu_172290", true);
Guru

State:
Florida.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Association Member Benefits Advisors Go to Top
How 'bout breaking your post up into paragraphs so we can actually read it

stop being so grumpy for god's sakes

You are correct about that...If you leave the company before 3 years then there is no residual income.

Once you work for 3 years you are semi-vested, so they will match residual payout for the number of years worked.

At 10 years with AMBA you are fully vested and will receive lifetime residuals.

It is set up for career-minded reps in it for the long haul.

Back