Association Member Benefits Advisors

Nope, not multi-level marketing...AMBA also has a contract with Monster and Careerbuilder in addition to running ads in the paper. Craigslist used to be free for job posts but it is only $25 now, so its worth posting there too if we have a position available.

Worked for them. Complete waste of time
I just interviewed with them. Can you elaborate? What are the pitfalls of the company and the job? Thanks for your help.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Can you comment on the contracts? How do they stack up against the competition? I am mostly concerned with renewals and would intend to be with them for 3 years or more. Thank you.

Last edited:
Leads are provided (about 4 a week), the rest of the time you are cold calling off of the association list.
30 - 35% is the commission structure on LTCi sales. However you only get 7 months of that 35% (they fail to tell you that) up front.
Everything is scripted to a 'T'.
There are no doubt people making money with this company. I could not proceed as the script was not jiving with the actions. I knew I was showing up to get a check. The old ladies thought I was coming to 'deliver benefits'. Probably a light-grey area there, but as I did not believe it myself I could not sell it. Simple as that.
I met some great people and very sharp salesmen but the cost to acquire business was too great. I would fill my tank 3-4 times a week for a modest up-front commission.
The nail in the coffin was when upper management told how they transferred the sales strategies from their experience in car sales and funeral insurance sales. Again, not passing judgment but I want to have some professional pride in my work. That did not help.
The company is growing and if you can stick to the script and not ask too many questions you will probably do well in a couple years.
It was a good experience as I know much more about the insurance industry and what I do not want to do. It also helped me find a good marketing spot where I KNOW I'm delivering value and helping people out. Plus, I don't need to drive all over hell-and-gone.
So been-there-done-that. Cost me a few bucks to learn but that is how things go. Hope this first hand experience helps someone out. I'm happy to talk off-line if it would help.

Leads are provided (about 4 a week), the rest of the time you are cold calling off of the association list.
30 - 35% is the commission structure on LTCi sales. However you only get 7 months of that 35% (they fail to tell you that) up front.
Everything is scripted to a 'T'.
There are no doubt people making money with this company. I could not proceed as the script was not jiving with the actions. I knew I was showing up to get a check. The old ladies thought I was coming to 'deliver benefits'. Probably a light-grey area there, but as I did not believe it myself I could not sell it. Simple as that.
I met some great people and very sharp salesmen but the cost to acquire business was too great. I would fill my tank 3-4 times a week for a modest up-front commission.
The nail in the coffin was when upper management told how they transferred the sales strategies from their experience in car sales and funeral insurance sales. Again, not passing judgment but I want to have some professional pride in my work. That did not help.
The company is growing and if you can stick to the script and not ask too many questions you will probably do well in a couple years.
It was a good experience as I know much more about the insurance industry and what I do not want to do. It also helped me find a good marketing spot where I KNOW I'm delivering value and helping people out. Plus, I don't need to drive all over hell-and-gone.
So been-there-done-that. Cost me a few bucks to learn but that is how things go. Hope this first hand experience helps someone out. I'm happy to talk off-line if it would help.

What is this? MEGA?
UIC?
The Ol "drop off your benefits ... just need you to sign off on them" deal.
Yeah, these drive till ya drop operatons are a total sham.
You come in as a new agent; run your car into the ground; squeeze out a few sales, eek out a living for a few months along with a few other agents then peter out. Meanwhile management collects over rides on that biz forever. Next batch of green horns... Often called body shops.
I went through it with A.I.L and MEGA.
Only good thing about it is that you find out whether or not sales is in your blood or not. Some people are "communicators" some fix computers ... And then you start getting creative and more in control.

I too received a letter from AMBA and talked to someone from TX. They were all gung ho but when I asked for more detailed info I kinda got the runaround. I also asked for a packet of info and was supposed to be contacted by a district manager that same day. That was almost a week ago and I haven't heard diddly since then. I'm not impressed.

I too received a letter from AMBA and talked to someone from TX. They were all gung ho but when I asked for more detailed info I kinda got the runaround. I also asked for a packet of info and was supposed to be contacted by a district manager that same day. That was almost a week ago and I haven't heard diddly since then. I'm not impressed.

If you aren't willing to swallow the kool aid, they move on to the next victim. This is the M.O. of such recruitment revolving door companies.

Revolving door recruiting is so cliche for this industry. Agents coming and going depends largely on the local manager.

Can't pigeon-hole AMBA as a revolving door based on a few people leaving...fact is AMBA retains agents much better than other agencies because of the structure/support provided.

As everyone knows Ins sales isn't for everyone...sorry you had a mgr not call you back. That's not typical.

I will be graduating in a few weeks and my college internship/human resource advisor approached me with an opportunity at AMBA. Apparently they are looking for a district manager in my area and I've been strongly thinking about sending them a resume. I've done a small amount of research on them, including reading this thread and I'm still a little perplexed about the organization's ethics.

For the last few years I have worked for myself from home while going back to school and I enjoy my work; however, I would need a large investment to really get my business going. What I am really looking for at this point in my career is to make enough money to slowly invest in my other business and play with my cars.

My question for those that have worked for AMBA and similar businesses, based on what I have written about myself, is if this niche of work fits my goals.

thanks

Back