Atlanta Getting Another Hospital Network?

policy doctor

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just heard on the TV news that 2 large hospital networks are in talks with each other to form another new one. Wellstar and Emory.
What's curious is that Wellstar is in partnership with Piedmont Hosp.
So does that mean Piedmont is breaking away and Wellstar hooking up with someone else?
OR
Wellstar going into multi partnerships with different hospitals? Wonder how confusing would that be to keep the insurance/administration/billing straight?

Is this happening in other metro areas?

Emory bought St Joseph's a couple of years ago. That didn't go well. Most of the docs in the S J practice across from the hospital bailed.

I don't think Emory is doing this to get into the MA business but I could be wrong. More like they are trying to expand their footprint and save a few $$$ with consolidation. Many of the Obamacrap upgrades such as EHR are quite expensive.

One might question what impact, if any, this has on the P W joint venture for MA coverage

wellstar is buying everything in site in north Atlanta. My sister works there and I think they have 800 drs after buying tons of practices. The east cobb wellstar and Acworth parks are amazing facilities. They're mini hospitals with 6-8 different practices in them. and the New Hiram wellstar Hospital is amazing

If it goes thru...I call AETNA PPO as being the main winner in 2016 mapd wars.

And you'd be wrong. Emory doesn't believe in a fair fight.

They have the money, the marketing, and the hospital/doctor network locally that noone else has.

Even though they've destroyed St. Joes, they have better name recognition in the ATL than Piedmont.

And you'd be wrong. Emory doesn't believe in a fair fight. They have the money, the marketing, and the hospital/doctor network locally that noone else has. Even though they've destroyed St. Joes, they have better name recognition in the ATL than Piedmont.

That depends on which side of town you live. Head down to Coweta and Fayette counties and Piedmont is the ONLY name in town.

Well Emory gets a lot of money for research and various gov't grants since it's also a teaching hospital but somehow they couldn't make the Emory-Adventist hosp successful here in Cobb County. Unless the Adventist healthcare administration side hampered them....I never understood why they had to shut down the hosp.

Heard criticism of internal operations not upgrading as needed and difficulty in retaining their physicians. Where was the money then? Anyway Bob, you just echoed what I said about Aetna PPO..large dr network and with access to Wellstar they will benefit even more.

Let's see.

hospital has cut costs in recent years, it has had difficulty attracting patients
Emory-Adventist Hospital to close - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Pete Weber, board chair of the financially troubled 88-bed not-for-profit hospital, said that although costs have been cut, it still couldn’t attract enough patients to sustain its operations.
Emory-Adventist Hospital to close | www.ajc.com

E-A had the same challenge as rural hospitals ........... not enough patients, not enough revenue.

As more people go on govt health coverage (Medicare and especially Medicaid) more cost shifting must occur.

But the govt is controlling that too, directly and indirectly, with Obamacare.

Just heard on the TV news that 2 large hospital networks are in talks with each other to form another new one. Wellstar and Emory.
What's curious is that Wellstar is in partnership with Piedmont Hosp.
So does that mean Piedmont is breaking away and Wellstar hooking up with someone else?
OR
Wellstar going into multi partnerships with different hospitals? Wonder how confusing would that be to keep the insurance/administration/billing straight?

Is this happening in other metro areas?

My opinion is current network that Piedmont WellStar HealthPlans has will get bigger if the merger occurs. Piedmont will not leave the partnership. So that's three great hospital systems for PWHP possibly for 2017.

Back