ATT Cancels Retiree Health Plan

It's not to late to start. Trying to snag the elephants away from Aon, Towers, etc is pretty much impossible but you can certainly go after the 50 - 250 market.

Got a call yesterday from an IBM retiree. They dropped their retiree plan a year ago and hired Towers Watson. Last year he and his wife chose a BX Medigap. In the interim he has figured out the plan is overpriced and was shopping. Problem now is, he and wife both have health issues. Can't change plans so they are stuck. TW is trying to move them to an MA plan because of the lower premium. Their OOP with the MA will be higher than their current gap premium. Yeah, that's great advice.
I also received a call from an IBM retiree yesterday, one who had called me about a year ago when he was turning 65. Then he had told me that he had to go through the exchange IBM had set up and after talking to him for a while we determined that I could not be of any help to him. In yesterday's call he informed me that one of his fellow IBM retirees, and friend, had gone through their exchange for his drug plan only, but was able to get his Medicare supplement outside the exchange, just as AT&T has done. I told him I was aware of AT&T having a similar arrangement, but had not heard that was an option for IBM retirees.

He is going to get a confirmation a little more official than his friend, but intends to call me to sign up for a supplement if he finds out he does have the freedom to do that. Is it common knowledge among agents that IBM is set up the same way as AT&T, and I've just not been paying close enough attention?

It's the same. I signed up someone last year and they got reimbursed by buying part D only.
Thanks. Good to know. I guess I missed the long "IBM Cancels Retiree Health Plan" thread last year. It's odd that I've received a large number of AT&T retiree calls, but have only received one IBM.

You didn't miss it. Didn't get much play. Only 7 posts.

I talked with some friends last year about this. They called me. I spent about 30 minutes explaining the differences in MA vs Medigap. They asked a lot of questions. Things their "counselor" never told them.

And then bought from the private exchange.

It was annoying, but I got over it. They promised to come back this year.

Of course neither can pass underwriting now and they are stuck with a very overpriced Humana plan F.

Yep. That's right. Get your RX through them and if you like their choice of dental offering then you can do that too. Then go to a broker and get help to select the best plan for you based on your geography and needs. Warning. Cigna Dental is not a choice and they cover all but two of the 50 states. Call Cigna directly at the AT&T retiree number and they will help you 888-244-6204. They were a great help. Good luck.

The retiree ONLY has to buy ONE product from AON to get their HRA money. Here is a link the ACW 9505 webpage. Look down the page under HRA section and then go to the 5th paragraph that starts with "The Retiree Must..." it is stated only one is required. The AON agents are mad and try to force retiree into buying everything from them and I have had two retirees lied to and forced into something they don't want.

Back