ATT Cancels Retiree Health Plan

Hey Somarco, thanks a lot for posting this. I just recently saw an AT&T retiree in a T65 appointment who mentioned that his retiree coverage will be changing but he had very few details how. Both he and his wife will need Medicare coverage. I'm sure if I'm able to help him, I could potentially help many of his former co-workers.

You mentioned you had the loophole details in writing. Where can we get this documentation at? Also I did google the situation, and I did find some info on the matter. In an answer to a faq, it said: "For example, if the individual is enrolled in a prescription drug plan through the Aon Exchange and is enrolled in a Medigap plan outside of the Aon Exchange, eligible expenses incurred under either plan may be reimbursed through the HRA."

Notice it says "may be" reimbursed, not "will be". Did you have any other documentation that showed otherwise?

My info in writing is in the form of an email from my client. I doubt you will find much that is definitive. Aon reps are bonused based on selling "their" plans. It is to their advantage to convince the client to buy everything from Aon.

My suggestion is to throw it out and let your client ask Aon. I treat this the same way I do legal or tax questions. Put it back on them to research since I am not a lawyer or accountant and don't give legal or tax advice.

As for your FAQ, "may be" can be interpreted as it is permissible or it might be permissible. Some wiggle room there.

Again, throw it out (you may not have to buy all coverage from Aon) and let them do the legwork.

Last edited:
I know Aon had been actively hiring around here for agents to work their retiree-pools. Pays $18 or so an hour plus small bonus per app. From what I've heard, it's not particularly well run (the call center) - a lot of turnover and technical issues. They do spend a lot of time training but that might be more due to the experience level of recruits.

Look here folks Somarco is right on this I will post the powerpoint presentation soon!

You only have to buy the part D or med supp NOT BOTH from AON!

Last edited:
Feedback I am getting is the Aon reps seem pushy, but that may be the ones my clients have talked to. They also don't have answers to routine questions like I do. Reps have to look it up and get back to you.

Also, don't expect service after the sale or the ability to talk to the same person every time you call.

Kind of like dealing with the govt.

Look here folks Somarco is right on this I will post the powerpoint presentation soon! You only have to buy the part D or med supp NOT BOTH from AON!

I do hope your correct, can you tell us how do you know this as a fact?

How will they get reimbursed for the med supp, claim form once a year?

Thank you for posting this.

must enroll in medical and/or prescription
drug coverage through the Aon Retiree Health Exchange in order to have an
amount credited under the AT&T Medicare-Eligible Health Reimbursement
Account Program in 2015.

An HRA from AT&T is provided only to those who are eligible and who
purchase medical or prescription drug coverage through the Aon Retiree Health
Exchange.

I retired from ATT in 1998 and am fully aware of the need for my wife and myself to purchase insurance through the AON exchange. I've perused the AON site several times and have a problem. When we go to the AON site (we each have our own account # and log-ins), we find that there are 36 (or maybe 37... it's been a few days) plans available. NOT ONE of the plans (we live in Greensboro, NC) includes prescription drug coverage. Is this a common problem? I only take a couple of medications, both moderate in price, and my wife takes nothing; I could easily pay both out of pocket, but not having coverage would be a risk I don't want to take. Is this a problem that other AT&T retirees have run into with the AON exchange?

You are probably just looking at Medigap, and no, they don't have Rx. You buy that separately.

Didn't your Aon rep explain that?

Back