Attention MedSup Salesmen -- To Sell PDPs or Not?

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
I know how Mr. Stastny stands on this, and am biased towards his viewpoint.

But do any of you other MedSup salesmen cross-sell drug plans? If so, explain how the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

If you guys are replacing MedSupps and *don't* sell drug plans, how do you assist a client who needs help switching, or getting answers, regarding their drug plans?

Thanks for your advice,
Dave

Assist in showing them how to go about finding out which drug program is best, but not to actually sell them, due to the agent potentially being the scapegoat for a formulary change outside of your control.

IMO I think it's easy $. The company that pops up the most this year as the lowest cost PDP plan also has an online app or you can just leave them a paper with your ID number on there and make an easy $50
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That company is Coventry first health part d value plan.

Last edited:
Assist in showing them how to go about finding out which drug program is best, but not to actually sell them, due to the agent potentially being the scapegoat for a formulary change outside of your control.
had to delete my post, big brother reprimanded me.

Last edited by a moderator:
But do any of you other MedSup salesmen cross-sell drug plans? If so, explain how the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

First, you are not cross selling. You are allowed to do this BUT you must have a completed Scope of Appointment first. So you need to make the decision to discuss Part-D even before you see the prospect.

If you have done this, you may as well just sell the damn thing. You're going to get the questions.

The way I do this is to tell people that for most, First Health Value Plus saves the most money. I give them the website and phone and let them have at it. I don't bother with the $25 referral fee. I'd rather not be paid then be paid poorly.

Rick

IMO I think it's easy $. The company that pops up the most this year as the lowest cost PDP plan also has an online app or you can just leave them a paper with your ID number on there and make an easy $50
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That company is Coventry first health part d value plan.

How are you getting $50 for it?

I know how Mr. Stastny stands on this, and am biased towards his viewpoint.

If you guys are replacing MedSupps and *don't* sell drug plans, how do you assist a client who needs help switching, or getting answers, regarding their drug plans?

Thanks for your advice,
Dave

IMHO if an agent is using his or her perceived expert advice on all the parts of Medicare including part D , even he or she is not contracted with any part D carriers, as leverage to get an appointment in Medicare household to sell Medicare supplement then that agent is indirectly being compensated from from the part D program.

Let me put this in a different perspective.How many appointments would a pure play Med Supp agent miss out on if they flat out told prospects when cold calling to set appointments that I they there will not be any discussion about specific part D plan benefits during the meeting.I guesstimate that 30-40% of the seniors I talk to want to talk about part D more than they want to talk about the medical benefits.

I wish like hell I didn't ever have to talk about part D again but I can't see were I can be the " Medicare insurance guy " that is coming to their home to explain all the " parts " of medicare and not actually being certified to to take applications for all plans.

Back