BCBS of Georgia Strikes Again - Med Supp

sman

Guru
5000 Post Club
For those of you in Georgia who write Med Supps, a word of caution. In a previous email dated 10/08/2010, they explained their new GI program for anyone with a Med Supp regardless of the carrier. On the Q&A from 10/08/2010 one of the questions was:

[FONT=&quot]QUESTION: Are existing Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia members eligible?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANSWER:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Yes. Existing members may change plans up until the program ends. They are subject to the requirements outlined above.[/FONT]

I also called them to find out about the procedure for changing the agent of record on an existing one and writing a new app (could we submit that together or did we need to submit the AOR first). I was told to submit the AOR first. In that same phone conversation I asked about the commissions and was told I would get the NEW commission (it is higher than the old commission).

So today I receive a new Q&A in the mail. On that same question listed above, here is the NEW answer.

[FONT=&quot]ANSWER:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Yes. Existing members may change plans up until the program ends. They are subject to the requirements outlined above. Guarantee Issue policies switched from existing BCBSGa policies are ineligible for commissions.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the bait and switch BCBS.
[/FONT]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So after making contact with a couple of the Regional Sales Managers (neither of which knew anything about this), they emailed me this morning to say it was an error. We will in fact receive commissions on replacement business.

This is the second error in as many months relating to the commissions on Med Supps from BCBSGA. Something tells me they don't quite have their act together yet.

Last edited:
Sounds like it runs the same as in Ohio. I have called for the same question you stated and along with others. When something seems to good to be true... it usually is and cover your ---. So, I moved forward with that firm in my head.

Same Q& A today -- no comp on existing bcbs members already having a sup that switch.

So now you say the one today that says to discard the one from Oct 2010 is also wrong! Wow! It doesn't surprise me!

Have comm statements and payments been messed up also?
Every broker up here that sells mapds &/or supps last May got an Overage OOPs from them. This boo boo was thousands over and then 2 weeks later ooops we need that back.

Then yesterday I received a comm letter not even addressing the extra few thousand they gave me. I different issue. Indy clients were paid out to me incorrecty from 2007. Are you kidding me! It wasn't by much but seriously!
Make up their mind!

Blue is making me see RED!

Anthem BCBS scares me. Along with the above reasons; I would add their 60 day contract de-vesting language (found in my contract). Their crap contract language could be a career wrecker. Agent’s need be careful as this company has a track record of indiscriminate medsupp contract terminations and then grabbing agent commissions.

Don’t put all your eggs in their basket! I will place most of my business with one of my other A or B carriers whom value agent long-term relationship’s. They’re a C carrier. Not getting a lot of retail floor space here.

Oh, by the way… What happens to the agent who replaces an old existing client's BCBS policy whom was getting a commission, and now the GI BCBS will pay zero? This was not well thought out! Kinda wonder if the head underwriter signed off on this!:twitchy:

Don’t put all your eggs in their basket! I will place most of my business with one of my other A or B carriers whom value agent long-term relationship’s. They’re a C carrier. Not getting a lot of retail floor space here.

They are my carrier strictly for those who are "stuck" in their old Med Supp due to health reasons. I haven't written an underwritten plan with them yet.

Oh, by the way… What happens to the agent who replaces an old existing client's BCBS policy whom was getting a commission, and now the GI BCBS will pay zero? This was not well thought out! Kinda wonder if the head underwriter signed off on this!:twitchy:

No, the NEW agent will get the commission. You must change the agent of record on the existing plan prior to replacing it.

Back