Better Save Up for AEP

CMS doesn't give a **** about the commissions. They don't care when they are paid or how much of the capitation rate is paid as commissions.

Those are carrier driven decisions. Especially Humana. The carriers have done a good job of making agents believe that the blame lies with CMS.

As is evidenced by some of the comments here.

Not for nothing, but the carriers didn't pass MIPPA.

CMS doesn't give a **** about the commissions. They don't care when they are paid or how much of the capitation rate is paid as commissions. Those are carrier driven decisions. Especially Humana. The carriers have done a good job of making agents believe that the blame lies with CMS. As is evidenced by some of the comments here.

Every plan I write EXCEPT Humana and UHC paid as earned right now or through December.

Ex. I wrote a WellCare 2 weeks ago effective 7/1 and I just got paid ~$106.
I wrote a Humana plan that same week and just got paid the full $213. Seems to me that Humana is ok with paying in full

I can't imagine this rule or whatever will stay in it's current form.

No way you can have agents all out running around for basically seven weeks and not being paid a dime until two months later.

I can't imagine this rule or whatever will stay in it's current form. No way you can have agents all out running around for basically seven weeks and not being paid a dime until two months later.

Some carriers do it that way already. Better get used to it.

Every plan I write EXCEPT Humana and UHC paid as earned right now or through December.

Ex. I wrote a WellCare 2 weeks ago effective 7/1 and I just got paid ~$106.
I wrote a Humana plan that same week and just got paid the full $213. Seems to me that Humana is ok with paying in full

Was your Humana business new to Medicare?

MA is the only type of plan where I receive an advance. I had no choice.

Many agents started selling MA because they'd get a big payday up front which in part caused some of the issues CMS has had. (Although to be fair, it's Humana that made up most of this crap).

Why should MA pay a full year's worth of commission as far as 2-3 months prior to the effective date? If I was made insurance czar I would require MA to pay as-earned. (Well, I'd really try to privatize Medicare but that wouldn't happen).

Whining about not getting 12 months of commission 3 months prior to the effective is ridiculous. If you can't afford to be in this business, get a J.O.B.

Rick

Well, if they're gonna pay as earned, they should pay more because there's a whole lotta extra service work that goes into ma enrollees. I'm constantly getting calls about one thing or another. And sometimes I have to drive hours to go look at a letter someone got or go and sit with them while we call the carrier to get an answer about some question they have. And, you've gotta do these things because if you don't and they call the carrier your customer could get flipped by them or they may talk the customer into lodging a complaint against you. There's a lot more variables in this biz than writing fe or even supps for that matter.

Well, if they're gonna pay as earned, they should pay more because there's a whole lotta extra service work that goes into ma enrollees. I'm constantly getting calls about one thing or another. And sometimes I have to drive hours to go look at a letter someone got or go and sit with them while we call the carrier to get an answer about some question they have. And, you've gotta do these things because if you don't and they call the carrier your customer could get flipped by them or they may talk the customer into lodging a complaint against you. There's a lot more variables in this biz than writing fe or even supps for that matter.

So you complain about the amount of work and the commission.

Since there's nothing we can do about the low level of commission (and I agree about that) and you bitch about servicing your clients, perhaps you should focus on something else.

My guess is I've written far more MA plans than you and rarely have service work. My clients call occasionally but since I've taken the time to review the plans prior to enrollment there are few surprises.

Rick

I dont see why the agent can't decide the level of risk he wants to take, like any other insurance product out there. Being forced to take 12 month advance is rediculous, but so is being forced to be paid as earned. What about having the option for a 3 month, or 6 month advance like you have with any other product out there?
There is not justifable reason to have it set up this way.

Back