Big Differences in Costs for Pay-per-click Med Supp Leads by State

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Those who pay-per-click for Medicare Supplement leads may want to check out a new article (link below) and infographic from Aaron Kassover at Agent Methods that shows the widely varying costs of those leads from state to state.

Is information like this enough to make you consider shifting your online advertising dollars to states with lower costs per click?

Insurance Forums | One simple thing that can increase your Med Supp leads by 6x

Here's some more (staggering) data not in the infographic: the top three advertisers for "medicare supplement" on Google all pay over $200k a month in pay-per-click fees! Can anybody guess who they are?

Anyway, please let me know if you have any questions about generating medicare supplement leads online or the infographic.

Aaron

I don't have any experience in ppc, but I would like to think seniors are more long tail key word friendly than just typing in "medicare supplement". I wouldn't type in life insurance if I was looking for some, I would look for quotes or rates in my state.

I don't have any experience in ppc, but I would like to think seniors are more long tail key word friendly than just typing in "medicare supplement". I wouldn't type in life insurance if I was looking for some, I would look for quotes or rates in my state.

You're 100% right. There's no way to compare all of the costs for long tail phrases, but the cost differences by region are generally directionally the same. This is because the long tail phrase is still going to compete with phrase match and broad match advertisers who bid up the cost-per-click.

The general rule is to go after a phrase indirectly by targeting long term phrases and related phrases. In my experience, I've actually often seen the best sales results going at a phrase head-on. Even though the cost per click can be a LOT higher, the cost per sale often ends up being lower. In other words, you might pay less per click for the long tail phrase "what is the best medicare supplement plan?" than you do for "medicare supplement", but there's a high risk that those searchers are less likely to convert into customers.

Last edited:
I am sure there is good reason too, I have given up my Mass and main Lic. I am keeping Fl & CA only because i have resids but I won't advertise there anymore

Listen as some of the more expensive state is NC & IN are some of my best states.

Back