Blue Cross Health Insurance Cancelled, Switched to Medi-cal

tkuhug

My mom is 52 and was enrolled under Blue Shield for health insurance for the past year or so. She has been up-to-date on payments and there were no issues. However, she recently received a HealthNet ID Card and found out she was switched to Medi-Cal.

Does anyone know why this is? We are a 4-person family, parents income total to about 30k, I am 26 part-time student with part-time job, and also have a brother who is 16.

I'm thinking it was a glitch in their system that she was approved for Blue Shield initlally, and now realized their mistake?

She went to the local medi-cal office today to cancel her medi-cal today. I was not aware of this until now, but with the upcoming penalty fees that was not a wise thing to do was it.

I'm sure greensky can answer this but isn't Medi-cal their version of Medicaid? Why in the world would she cancel that?

A 4 person family under $33,000, all family members would be eligible for Medi-Cal.
Regarding the HealthNet Id card, this is probably through Medi-Cal.
Your mother probably lives in California in a large metro city.
Did your mother ever receive a cancellation notice from Blue Shield, or, is it Blue Cross?
Probably not.
Therefore, your mother is probably still primary with Blue ????? and secondary with Medi-Cal.
This is my best guess given the limited information in your post.

Does anyone know why this is? We are a 4-person family, parents income total to about 30k

Income at or below 138% FPL triggers MAGI Medi-Cal. Covered CA makes the call on this, not the health plan. The FPL for 2015 is somewhat higher than these numbers. See attached chart from Covered CA.

Attachments

• Program-Eligibility-by-Federal-Poverty-Level.jpg
    Program-Eligibility-by-Federal-Poverty-Level.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 7
Back