Bye Bye 48 Hour Scope

I would think most carriers will just scrap the 48-hour rule if allowed, but no one wants to make that call until they are clear with CMS's verbiage.

Let's hope so. I mean, it's only common sense. But when have carriers or CMS acted on common sense? I understand their goal with the SOA has been to protect the consumer. But does it really?

On the occasions where I've met with someone without really qualifying them before the meeting (usually a lead from the carrier - in these instances I am presenting the plan they called the carrier about and will not deviate from that) and they ask about a different carrier during that meeting, they look at me like I'm from another planet when I explain I won't be able to discuss that plan with them for another 48 hours after they sign the new SOA. And quite frankly, during AEP I don't have time to be going back on second and third meetings with people.

This is why I spend a fair amount of time on the phone with referrals prior to any face to face meeting. So I can get as much information about what they want in a plan, which doctors they use and if they feel like providing me with medications I will run the comparison on that as well. This way I know prior to the meeting which plan is a fit for them. This cuts way down on the need for second and third appointments.

Let's hope so. I mean, it's only common sense. But when have carriers or CMS acted on common sense? I understand their goal with the SOA has been to protect the consumer. But does it really?

On the occasions where I've met with someone without really qualifying them before the meeting (usually a lead from the carrier - in these instances I am presenting the plan they called the carrier about and will not deviate from that) and they ask about a different carrier during that meeting, they look at me like I'm from another planet when I explain I won't be able to discuss that plan with them for another 48 hours after they sign the new SOA. And quite frankly, during AEP I don't have time to be going back on second and third meetings with people.

I don't understand why you tell them you can't talk for another 48 hours. You can always mark down "same day appointment" on the SOA.

Virtually all my appointments are next day so that's what I write on the SOA. The 48 hour rule always stated "if practical". It's pretty much been a non issue.

Rick

I don't understand why you tell them you can't talk for another 48 hours. You can always mark down "same day appointment" on the SOA.

Virtually all my appointments are next day so that's what I write on the SOA. The 48 hour rule always stated "if practical". It's pretty much been a non issue.

Rick

I always err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry. Just because we interpret it one way doesn't mean the carrier or CMS interpret it the same way. You've experienced this on your recent Med Supp app for the woman without a prostate. No matter how right you are about the situation, the carrier works from within their box and they rarely go outside of it. While I appreciate you being willing to fight the fight with the carrier, personally I would have just answered the question. It's a battle not worth fighting in my opinion. At least not in a way that would delay my client being issued.

I've had plenty of next day appointments. But I've always refrained from showing a client a second carrier on the same appointment fully well knowing that getting a new scope signed would technically protect me. Just not a fight I'm willing to have with the carrier nor CMS.

Again, my way around this is to gather as much information prior to the appointment so that I can walk in with the one plan that fits their needs.

I noticed the absence of several rules in the AHIP material.

There's nothing about telling clients you will make a commission if they buy from you. (AKA stupid rule number 1. Like someone 64 or older doesn't know we work on commissions.)

There's nothing about the "A licensed agent will call" wording. (AKA stupid rule number 2)

There was nothing about putting "This is an Advertisement" on your DM postcards and envelopes. (AKA stupid rule number 3. They know it's an advertisement.)

60 days was changed to two months for the SEP rules. (A small but nice change.)

The big change, IMO, is allowing agents to help clients to enroll using third party websites. That may be a game changer for me!

I read each module twice, but I could have missed something. Plus AHIP isn't the exactly the horse's mouth. CMS might not have changed all of the above rules. AHIP (or I) could have just missed something.

There's nothing about telling clients you will make a commission if they buy from you. (AKA stupid rule number 1. Like someone 64 or older doesn't know we work on commissions.)

There's nothing about the "A licensed agent will call" wording. (AKA stupid rule number 2)

There was nothing about putting "This is an Advertisement" on your DM postcards and envelopes. (AKA stupid rule number 3. They know it's an advertisement.)

The big change, IMO, is allowing agents to help clients to enroll using third party websites. That may be a game changer for me!

I read each module twice, but I could have missed something. Plus AHIP isn't the exactly the horse's mouth. CMS might not have changed all of the above rules. AHIP (or I) could have just missed something.

I would encourage a review of the Medicare Marketing Guidelines instead of AHIP, as the latter is not 'a complete list of rules'. It's really a summary and by the looks of it they rushed it, the spelling is terrible!

There was a change on AHIP this year. Rather than the same ole complete coverage of all material there was a recertification option provided you completed the prior years training. This went for AHIP and carriers alike.

Just an FYI.

As of now, the only carrier that has put anything in writing has been Aetna who has basically said the 48-hour rule will not be required with CY2018 business.

I have interpreted this as for all 2017 business, you are still required to have a 48-hour advance signature when applicable. For 2018 business, including AEP, you can have the SOA signed at the beginning of the appointment.

Just attended an Aetna meeting today and they said there is no longer a 48 hour rule and if any Company tells you there is they are not correct. Starting 1/1/18.

Back