Can a Lead Really Be Dead?

bekahsack

Expert
Let's say you've been working on a lead for a while now. You've talked on the phone, you've met in person, and they're just not biting.

What do you do? Can a lead really be dead? If so, when do you call it quits? Have you ever thought a lead was dead, but then it came back to life and they turned into a customer?

I'd love to hear any personal stories you've had that revolve around this subject!

Let's say you've been working on a lead for a while now. You've talked on the phone, you've met in person, and they're just not biting.

What do you do? Can a lead really be dead? If so, when do you call it quits? Have you ever thought a lead was dead, but then it came back to life and they turned into a customer?

I'd love to hear any personal stories you've had that revolve around this subject!

If I meet with them and they don't buy that lead goes in the trash. No further contact unless they initiate it.

Or they send in another card. And they will.

When I call a lead, and somebody else answers the phone, and proceeds to tell the person Im looking for is has died, I consider the lead to be dead. Now, depending on how recent the death, sometimes I can turn that person who answered the phone into a live lead!

The answer to your questions will vary greatly by agent.

Like JD, I never chase a lead. If they are not interested I tell them I am closing their file and move on.

Sometimes those leads come back to life.

Sometimes they don't.

Here is my take on it.

A lot has to do with how you work the lead and the level of automation you have. The more effort you have to expend to work a lead, the sooner you should get rid of it. If you are working strictly via phone and internet with automation tools, work it until they truly are dead or tell you to die. If you doing it manually and especially if you are doing it in person, one call close.

I have had clients to give me the old, "Call me back in a couple of months" thing. That's exactly what I do. I have had clients put me off for over a year and then decided to get serious with me. It's a timing thing.

I always worked the hell out of my leads and never considered it dead until they were or they told me not to call again. That's just me. I can't sit here and tell you that an agent who works the leads like JD isn't wrong. That's his style and it works for him. My style is different and it works for me. You have to find your style.

Last edited:
After 2 no responses (via email, that are sent on Fridays), I wait a week, then send a 3rd Friday "goodbye" email with the phrase "I am sorry if I am bothering you and will not contact you again unless I hear from you".

I probably get a 90% response rate to that within 1 day. But I don't consider that chasing, either. Its an email.

I have had clients to give me the old, "Call me back in a couple of months" thing. That's exactly what I do. I have had clients put me off for over a year and then decided to get serious with me. It's a timing thing.

I always worked the hell out of my leads and never considered it dead until they were or they told me not to call again. That's just me. I can't sit here and tell you that an agent who works the leads like JD is wrong. That's his style and it works for him. My style is different and it works for me. You have to find your style.

I didn't realize that "what do you do?" was a debate.

I thought he wanted experiences from producers on what do you do. Not from desk jockeys.

Okay, heres my serious response. I think it's all about timing, just like in life.

A lead might be dead for now, or maybe it's just hibernating. Ive sold new leads and old leads, and really old leads. Some leads Ive sold were old, and they had other agents handwritten notes on them, about how they arent interested, blah blah blah. Some agents only called them, so I door knocked them. And of course, ive not sold old leads too, so yeah maybe the leads do die eventually

A lead is never dead until they tell you to put em on the DNC list (excluding local/federal laws, of course).

At some point they are going to have a friend/family member/etc gripe about something regarding insurance. It's what old people do, ask Greensky for examples on how old people gripe.

Put em in your crm and drip-market them using email/post cards/ phone calls. And don't forget to ask about Life/Cancer-HA-Stroke/DVH insurance too.

Back