Can a MD or PA Sell Medicare Products?

If I found out my doctor was selling insurance or the side, or had any job that involved actual work on the side, I'd find a new doctor.

Sorry, but that just screams the doctor isn't completely invested in his practice and me as a patient or he is struggling and needs additional income. Neither one would give me the warm fuzzies as a patient.

I feel the same way about insurance agents. If you have a second job, great go do that and let me deal with a professional. Professionals do not have two jobs. They may have side investments, side ventures, but not side jobs.

If I found out my doctor was selling insurance or the side, or had any job that involved actual work on the side, I'd find a new doctor.

Sorry, but that just screams the doctor isn't completely invested in his practice and me as a patient or he is struggling and needs additional income. Neither one would give me the warm fuzzies as a patient.

I feel the same way about insurance agents. If you have a second job, great go do that and let me deal with a professional. Professionals do not have two jobs. They may have side investments, side ventures, but not side jobs.

My thoughts completely, this is one of the dumbest ideas in history...

This doctor actually wants the residual income that the Medicare world can offer, and wants to stop practicing medicine sooner than later.

We just wanted to make sure that no conflict of interest will be involved during this transition period.

Yep. I wouldn't hire a part-time realator either.

Could they actually sell to their own client base if they actually disclosed what they were doing?

We just wanted to make sure that no conflict of interest will be involved during this transition period.

The legality of actions the person is considering will be governed by medical and insurance licensing laws in the states of NY and CT. The ethicality of the actions the person is considering will be governed, in part, by codes of ethics maintained by the state medical boards and insurance departments.

You are now asking insurance agents to advise you on the fine points of legal liability a physician faces for actions within his own practice. Given the potentially huge financial costs a physician could face for misteps in his actions, that is, in my opinion, a very misguided action.

Your friend, or client, needs to include funds for legal counsel in his "retooling" plans and discuss these issues with an attorney.

If the actions are legal, and make money, there are quite likely other members of the medical profession doing them. That would suggest that another potential source of relevant, experience based, advice would be the NY and CT medical communities.

This doctor actually wants the residual income that the Medicare world can offer, and wants to stop practicing medicine sooner than later.

Thank you, you just proved my point. Time for the patients to find a new doctor.

Just like staying on at a company that is in trouble or closing its doors. Unless you are being bonused to stay, get out while the getting is good.

Or a business that provides a service is going to close its doors in a few months, get out now.

Whatever his motivation, he is no longer fully committed to his profession. Were I a patient and I knew, I'd be gone in a heart beat and I would tell everyone who would listen.

Back