Case Question................

I'm not trying to be funny but how would you know which gender to put if you didn't know if it was a man or a woman?
Obviously you can ask but how many times do you have to ask a client which one are they? It's an odd question to ask someone.
And once the new Medicare cards start issuing this time next year there won't be any help there, as they are dropping the M or F designations that are on the current cards.

Bowing out without that itself being a minefield, not to overthink, but needs caution. I have made it seem logical, and positive to go through some other source, like an 800# or 2 for direct to carrier sale when faced with a situation to avoid.

Some years ago, a question was asked in a CE class I was teaching about how a life insurance carrier would deal with a transitioned case. We waited after the break for a GA who called underwriting. Original birth gender would be used. As someone else pointed out in a previous post, in future there could be some other rule, or use blended rates for male and female, same rate by age.

A U.S. government panel has ruled that a privately run Medicare plan must cover sex reassignment surgery for a Texas transgender woman, a decision her attorney said was the first of its kind.

UnitedHealth Medicare plan must cover U.S. sex reassignment surgery | Reuters

Currently, the local Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) determine coverage of gender reassignment surgery on an individual claim basis. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) proposes to continue this practice and not issue a National Coverage Determination (NCD) at this time on gender reassignment surgery for Medicare beneficiaries with gender dysphoria. Our review of the clinical evidence for gender reassignment surgery was inconclusive for the Medicare population at large. The low number of clinical studies specifically about Medicare beneficiaries’ health outcomes for gender reassignment surgery and small sample sizes inhibited our ability to create clinical appropriateness criteria for cohorts of Medicare beneficiaries.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-proposed-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId=282

All this aside, I agree with the others. Run, don't walk.

Ugh. Does President Trump know about this foolishness being perpetrated by CMS? Maybe he'll put a stop to it.

All you guys are spot on. The nutcases are not worth the trouble. I had a life insurance client years ago who lied about having an artificial leg (lost from a DWI accident, I later learned) and told the company I told him to falsify the application. Fortunately, the lady in u/w at Transamerica believed me over him as she could tell he was loony tunes from some other crazy stuff he told her. He was wearing long pants and I had no idea he was missing a leg. But I made a mistake by not leaving when he made his first crazy comments whilst I was taking the app. Should have seen that one a mile away.

Back