Central States Indemnity

Looks like next month MLIC will have been in the Med Supp business for 3 years.

I wonder why CSG Actuarial says Manhattan Life has been in business for 33 years (when I use a local zip code.) Do you guys think that is because of the AIMC affiliation?

The B+ AM Best rating is a turn off for some too.

----------

I never recommend any carrier that has not been in the Medigap business, under the same name, for at least 5 years.

Prudent advice.

I wonder why CSG Actuarial says Manhattan Life has been in business for 33 years (when I use a local zip code.) Do you guys think that is because of the AIMC affiliation?

The B+ AM Best rating is a turn off for some too.

That's a question that's been asked before. I just called them to ask why Oxford's rate increase wasn't showing up yet and I asked that question. They're getting the info from the NAIC. They could've been in the Med Supp business years ago, or they could be combining Family Life with that, even though it's supposed to be for MLIC only. Manhattan has filed that it's 33 years with the NAIC.

I don't know why the B+ would bother anyone, if the company goes belly up the policyholder can get GI with any company doing business in their state. It could be a blessing in disguise for somebody in poor health.

Plenty of A+ companies have disappeared.

Manhattan dates back to 1850, so by saying they are only 33 years old they are short changing themselves.

Originally a NY company, I have no idea when they moved to TX.

Manhattan Life Group > About > Our History

The Manhattan Life Insurance Building

As for CSG, until a few months ago MLIC was in business for 3 years, not 33.

I know it's an old company, I believe they claim to have sold the 1st annuity(or something like that). That 33 years is years in the Med Supp business. According to CSG, they get that info from the NAIC, so MLIC must have changed the info they give to the NAIC.:laugh:

I know it's an old company, I believe they claim to have sold the 1st annuity(or something like that). That 33 years is years in the Med Supp business. According to CSG, they get that info from the NAIC, so MLIC must have changed the info they give to the NAIC.:laugh:

Thanks to all for your responses. Always learning!

My brother in law says he has been married for 47 years.

But not necessarily to the same woman .....

So, your BIL had multiple wives, or either he or his wife or various wives had multiple personalities of lengthy spells. If you add a touch of dementia, that could really be a complicated situation.

As far as Manhattan Med Supps? Are they "No Supp fo yu"?

So, your BIL had multiple wives, or either he or his wife or various wives had multiple personalities of lengthy spells. If you add a touch of dementia, that could really be a complicated situation.

As far as Manhattan Med Supps? Are they "No Supp fo yu"?

Hahaha....:twitchy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he had multiple wives. I think 3, or maybe 4. Can't keep track. Don't care to.

As for MLIC, I don't believe they have legs but I am willing to say they might prove me wrong. Other carriers have hitched their wagon to the AIMC horse and none of them are still around.

At least not in the Medigap business.

I have maybe 10 cases with them. People who just wanted the lowest rate and didn't care about anything else. But I usually end up writing a different carrier at a slightly higher rate for the long term stability.

Almost wrote an MLIC Medigap about a month ago but at the last minute decided to pay about $12 more and upgrade to a carrier with a REAL long term history.

CSI Life rate increases effective 9/1/16 in Georgia

F 8%
G 3%
N 2%

Last edited:
Back