Is Charging an Admission Fee for a Medigap Seminar Non-compliant?

There is a difference between educational and marketing/sales events. It is my understanding that these rules are for plans that require certification with CMS/AHIP type training. PDP/MAPD

It just seems like overthinking by using the food/seminar protocol for this target market. High end investments are very different audience.

OP....not sure if you are a member, but medicareagenttraining.com (Daytona Guy) just posted an interview with a guy who is doing seminars with great results.

Your out of compliance totally if you mention medicare. Find the rules and read them before you lose your license.
All Medicare information meeting must be reported to Medicare and you are not to serve food or charge admission.

Those rules are for Medicare Advantage plans. We have a lot more freedom with Medicare Supplement Plans.

----------

why don't you just pre-qualify them when they RSVP or call them back and do it.

I will pre-qualify when they RSVP. I want them to RSVP so that I'll know how much food to buy. Also, I want to be able to call and confirm with them a few days before the event.

----------

There is a difference between educational and marketing/sales events. It is my understanding that these rules are for plans that require certification with CMS/AHIP type training. PDP/MAPD

It just seems like overthinking by using the food/seminar protocol for this target market. High end investments are very different audience.

When I was told that I would be non-compliant, I thought the compliance officer was confusing Medicare Advantage with Medicare Supplements. This is why I posted the question on this forum.

Keep in mind you can cross sell with Medigap clients. Their mentality is a little different from some/most MAPD clients.

----------

How much did you charge? Did they prepay or pay at the door?

I wasn't actually going to charge anyone. If they show up without a RSVP and if there is room they will be admitted if not then they can RSVP for the next seminar.

Some of the forum members misunderstood my post. They probably only read the question.

Those rules are for Medicare Advantage plans. We have a lot more freedom with Medicare Supplement Plans.

----------

I will pre-qualify when they RSVP. I want them to RSVP so that I'll know how much food to buy. Also, I want to be able to call and confirm with them a few days before the event.

----------

When I was told that I would be non-compliant, I thought the compliance officer was confusing Medicare Advantage with Medicare Supplements. This is why I posted the question on this forum.

Keep in mind you can cross sell with Medigap clients. Their mentality is a little different from some/most MAPD clients.

----------

I wasn't actually going to charge anyone. If they show up without a RSVP and if there is room they will be admitted if not then they can RSVP for the next seminar.

Some of the forum members misunderstood my post. They probably only read the question.

Devils advocate here.How many seniors really want to commit to attend a medicare supplement seminar that by design cannot cover part D or C information .of course if you file it with CMS as an educational event you can discuss part d and c but then you cannot use the mailer you intended on using and you cant do any marketing.

Yes in a vacuum marketing supplements have much less marketing restrictions but med supps and part c,d are so tied together that its almost the same as far as compliance.

Devils advocate here.How many seniors really want to commit to attend a medicare supplement seminar that by design cannot cover part D or C information .of course if you file it with CMS as an educational event you can discuss part d and c but then you cannot use the mailer you intended on using and you cant do any marketing.

Yes in a vacuum marketing supplements have much less marketing restrictions but med supps and part c,d are so tied together that its almost the same as far as compliance.

What are you saying you cant have supplement seminar without offing Part D?

If so that is not true, I don't do seminars myself, However I know of many who make a great living off it. If fact there is a woman who is well known, I wish I could remember her name this susan somthing or other in CA. She strongly advocates Never helping with part D

This is not my buis model but many do it Very Successfully

What are you saying you cant have supplement seminar without offing Part D?

If so that is not true, I don't do seminars myself, However I know of many who make a great living off it. If fact there is a woman who is well known, I wish I could remember her name this susan somthing or other in CA. She strongly advocates Never helping with part D

This is not my buis model but many do it Very Successfully

I think you are speaking about Susan Hatch

----------

2nd part of devils advocate....

I do seminars for 5-10 people in Financial Planners offices. I ALWAYS talk about Part D. But I'm not currently Part C/D certified, so its irrelevant.

I think you are speaking about Susan Hatch

----------

I do seminars for 5-10 people in Financial Planners offices. I ALWAYS talk about Part D. But I'm not currently Part C/D certified, so its irrelevant.

if you are are licensed with DOI it is relevant if a secret shopper ever attended your seminar and they found compliance issues.Of course the chances of that happening is very low if your event is not on the CMS radar in the first place as an advertised marketing event or educational event.

if you are are licensed with DOI it is relevant if a secret shopper ever attended your seminar and they found compliance issues.Of course the chances of that happening is very low if your event is not on the CMS radar in the first place as an advertised marketing event or educational event.

I'm 99% sure that I am in compliance, since its education. But there's no advertising or marketing involved, so I'm not stressed about it. ;)

Not disagreeing but let me play devil's advocate....

I am no longer securities licensed. May I speak about stocks in a seminar? Would that be irrelevant?

Rick

Not disagreeing but let me play devil's advocate....

I am no longer securities licensed. May I speak about stocks in a seminar? Would that be irrelevant?

Rick

Why not? Are you going to sell it to them? Then go for it.....

I'd stay away from recommending health insurance carriers, though. I heard they were taking a beating because of the Obamacare thing ;)

Back