Is Charging an Admission Fee for a Medigap Seminar Non-compliant?

I do seminars for 5-10 people in Financial Planners offices. I ALWAYS talk about Part D. But I'm not currently Part C/D certified, so its irrelevant.

Devils advocate here.How many seniors really want to commit to attend a medicare supplement seminar that by design cannot cover part D or C information .of course if you file it with CMS as an educational event you can discuss part d and c but then you cannot use the mailer you intended on using and you cant do any marketing.

Parts A, B, C, and D are all Medicare. Any agent can explain Medicare but we cannot explain plan specific information (premiums, deductibles, co-pays and benefits).

When I do a Medigap presentation I tell my client that, "due to CMS regulations and for your protection I am not allowed to discuss Meidgaps and MAPD's in the same appointment. I must give you 48 hours to digest the information on Medicare and Medigaps, then we can discuss MAPD's and choose a plan that fits your needs. In the mean time please create a list of your doctors and medications etc...."

They're ok with that explanation.

Last edited:
I do seminars for 5-10 people in Financial Planners offices. I ALWAYS talk about Part D. But I'm not currently Part C/D certified, so its irrelevant.

Devils advocate here.How many seniors really want to commit to attend a medicare supplement seminar that by design cannot cover part D or C information .of course if you file it with CMS as an educational event you can discuss part d and c but then you cannot use the mailer you intended on using and you cant do any marketing.

Parts A, B, C, and D are all Medicare. Any agent can explain Medicare but we cannot explain plan specific information (premiums, deductibles, co-pays and benefits).

When I do a Medigap presentation I tell my client that, "due to CMS regulations and for your protection I am not allowed to discuss Meidgaps and MAPD's in the same appointment. I must give you 48 hours to digest the information on Medicare and Medigaps, then we can discuss MAPD's and choose a plan that fits your needs. In the mean time please create a list of your doctors and medications etc...."

They're ok with that explanation.

OP was referring to doing seminars and a seminar that discusses c and d in general terms is an educational event which must comply to CMS rules

BTW you can discuss both at f2f if you have compliant initial contact and a signed scope

Back