Cigna PDP - No More Biz From Agents

cladams

Expert
It appears that Cigna is eliminating the agent. How many will re-certify to get renewals?

"Cigna PDP has announced that effective June 15th they will no longer accept business from agents. Sales will only be direct to carrier from consumers for all applications received after June 15th.

Renewals will remain intact as long as the business stays on the books and agents certify for the current plan year."

Last edited:
It appears that Cigna is eliminating the agent. How many will re-certify to get renewals? "Cigna PDP has announced that effective June 15th they will no longer accept business from agents. Sales will only be direct to carrier from consumers for all applications received after June 15th. Renewals will remain intact as long as the business stays on the books and agents certify for the current plan year."

And in a related story, many independent agents will no longer accept business for Cigna. Sales will only be directed to the dozens of other carriers.

What must be the thought process that goes through these executives minds....Hey let's cut off the agent sales channel how many will bother to recertify each year and we can keep the renewals. ----- Executive thought.

Agent thought ---- Do I recertify and waste just a half hour and keep my renewals or do I reach out to my existing book and move them to a different carrier renewals end up being the same (dang you CMS). But its another contact with the customer to build the relationship and a chance to cross sell (screw you CMS).

What must be the thought process that goes through these executives minds....Hey let's cut off the agent sales channel how many will bother to recertify each year and we can keep the renewals. ----- Executive thought. Agent thought ---- Do I recertify and waste just a half hour and keep my renewals or do I reach out to my existing book and move them to a different carrier renewals end up being the same (dang you CMS). But its another contact with the customer to build the relationship and a chance to cross sell (screw you CMS).
Last year Coventry went from one time referral fee (bad) to no agent channel (worse). And tacked on a huge price increase and bigger copays. Most of my clients with them moved. I expect the rest will this AEP after enduring this year with them. Cigna's likely headed there.

Glad I never signed up with them but also glad for the free lunches they gave this year. Thank You Cigna.

Glad they tipped their hand this early in the game.

Latest posts

Back