CLI Conversion to AHL, No Underwriting

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Talked to a guy today that had CLI since 2010 and rates kept going up.

Imagine that.

Called and was told he could trade in his existing plan for a new one with AHL, no questions asked.

I realize that CLI/AHL/ACL/A should have his claim data on file but this is the first time I had encountered this.

Of course I have no idea if the original agent is in the picture or not. Based on the way big A handles IFP even if the new agent is still in the business he will not be getting commissions on what is now a house account.

Imagine that.

Called and was told he could trade in his existing plan for a new one with AHL, no questions asked.

I realize that CLI/AHL/ACL/A should have his claim data on file but this is the first time I had encountered this.

Of course I have no idea if the original agent is in the picture or not. Based on the way big A handles IFP even if the new agent is still in the business he will not be getting commissions on what is now a house account.

Never known them to do a non-med transfer like that. AHL won't even extend household discount to someone whose spouse is insured with a sister company (I have a few couples where only one is insurable). They might give a new agent a renewal commission if it is a house account, but doubtful if the writing agent is still active.

Never known them to do a non-med transfer like that. AHL won't even extend household discount to someone whose spouse is insured with a sister company (I have a few couples where only one is insurable). They might give a new agent a renewal commission if it is a house account, but doubtful if the writing agent is still active.

Yes they will. The spouse with AHLIC gets a 7% discount, while the spouse with ACI gets 5%.

Yes they will. The spouse with AHLIC gets a 7% discount, while the spouse with ACI gets 5%.

Must be a state thing. They won't do that here. If one has ACI and the other has AHL they will not give the discount to the AHL. Been there, tried that.

As for the OP, they will not move company to company here without underwriting. Tried that too.

Unless it's a recent change? I will check today.

----------

Imagine that.

I know if you replace a current Aetna with Aetna they will pay the replaced agent. Not the new writing agent. In a 6 year old case I don't know what they would do? I would check before writing it.

Must be a state thing. They won't do that here. If one has ACI and the other has AHL they will not give the discount to the AHL. Been there, tried that.

As for the OP, they will not move company to company here without underwriting. Tried that too.

Unless it's a recent change? I will check today.

----------

I know if you replace a current Aetna with Aetna they will pay the replaced agent. Not the new writing agent. In a 6 year old case I don't know what they would do? I would check before writing it.

There're lots of things that are state specific.

They also won't change of AOR even at the policyholder's request if the original agent is still active with them. I like that they protect the original agent.

John, could be a state thing. Or maybe someone asleep at the switch.

I put a new client with MLIC a month ago and applied for the HH discount. It has been a while since I wrote anything with them and I forgot the spouse must be 60+.

This guy's spouse is 37.

I filled out the app correctly, with exception of checking the spouse discount. Not trying to pull a fast one, just brain dead at that point.

Approved the app (underwritten) and gave him the discount.

Back to the Aetna family, you are right about the AOR. I took over about half a dozen U65 health insurance clients (before Ocare) by AOR. When I never got paid, even though they showed up on my BOB, I asked.

Sure enough the old agent was still getting paid even though I was now the AOR.

I am not writing anything unless the guy calls back. Don't have time to chase maybe's.

What blows me away, beyond the switch without underwriting (that was what he told me) is that he would stay with them knowing how they screwed him when they stopped writing CLI here. I don't know if he has a health problem or not. Will pursue that if he calls back. Otherwise I am on to the next low hanging fruitcake.

Oh, and when I move someone they go to a new unrelated carrier. Don't care to get caught up in the $0 commission crap. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

John, could be a state thing. Or maybe someone asleep at the switch.

I put a new client with MLIC a month ago and applied for the HH discount. It has been a while since I wrote anything with them and I forgot the spouse must be 60+.

This guy's spouse is 37.

I filled out the app correctly, with exception of checking the spouse discount. Not trying to pull a fast one, just brain dead at that point.

Approved the app (underwritten) and gave him the discount.

Back to the Aetna family, you are right about the AOR. I took over about half a dozen U65 health insurance clients (before Ocare) by AOR. When I never got paid, even though they showed up on my BOB, I asked.

Sure enough the old agent was still getting paid even though I was now the AOR.

I am not writing anything unless the guy calls back. Don't have time to chase maybe's.

What blows me away, beyond the switch without underwriting (that was what he told me) is that he would stay with them knowing how they screwed him when they stopped writing CLI here. I don't know if he has a health problem or not. Will pursue that if he calls back. Otherwise I am on to the next low hanging fruitcake.

Oh, and when I move someone they go to a new unrelated carrier. Don't care to get caught up in the $0 commission crap. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

I've got an FE client that has ACI plan F. He's had it a year and a half. Got it shortly before they changed to AHL here.

I can rewrite him AHL F and save him $30/mo or G and save him about $60/mo. No one else saves him enough to change.

I called Aetna and asked if I could do the rewrite and they said yes but it would have to be underwritten, no automatic change. And that I would get "credit" for it.

I said that's great but I didn't think they would pay me and that was good to know. Then they said they wouldn't pay me, they would pay the original agent but I would get "credit" for it. So I asked what the hell "credit" meant.

They said, oh, you would be the servicing agent. :laugh:

Anyway, I explained all this to the guy and told him to contact his agent and see if he would write it for him and if he wouldn't I will. The guy was very understanding about it and said he didn't blame me. That reminds me, I need to call the guy and see what the other agent said.

So I asked what the hell "credit" meant.

ROFLMAO!!!

Pretty much what Aetna did to us on U65.

BIG regional meeting. During Q&A I asked about commissions on AOR. Told them I had 5 or 6 and have not been paid. Others chimed in with similar stories.

One person claimed to have over 30 AOR's.

After some stammering, and red faces, the moderator said, "Well, you get to service the business but the original agent is paid".

Needless to say the meeting was adjourned and the Aetna critters went into witness protection

Back