CMS Changes Are Going to Lead to Commission Cuts for MAPD

I seriously don't know how to handle the calls I am going to get asking for the UH MAPD their Sister or buddy has. If I can't write a Hospital Indemnity plan along with it what good would it do to write them? From what I have seen in the past if they make them non commissionable then the plan ends at the end of that year. That's probably what I will tell everyone is that the UH MAPD will be ending so you don't want to go on it. Screw em.

Telling someone a plan a plan is ending without confirmation that is true just because it's non-commissionable seems risky. I'd go with the truth: this plan no longer compensates agents to assist. Here is the carrier phone number.

I seriously don't know how to handle the calls I am going to get asking for the UH MAPD their Sister or buddy has. If I can't write a Hospital Indemnity plan along with it what good would it do to write them? From what I have seen in the past if they make them non commissionable then the plan ends at the end of that year. That's probably what I will tell everyone is that the UH MAPD will be ending so you don't want to go on it. Screw em.

You might find yourself in a less than desirable position if you go with that. If you say every time you've seen them stop paying commissions in an area they've pulled out of the market the next year you'd probably be in the clear, but I'd even dodge that one.

The benefit of writing it without getting paid (and assuming the liability of it) would be to build a relationship to earn other lines of business. That might not be a strong enough argument to do it, but that's why some people will do it. In fact, many annuity agents will write Medicare business just to get to the annuity business.

We have met the enemy, and they is us.

Listen to you! This is why our industry needs to tighten the requirements for selling to one of the most vulnerable segments of our population. Here we are, griping about not getting a "signing bonus" for enrolling those that are aging in.

YOU ARE NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THIS EQUATION!

I am sick and tired of, every October through December, hearing from these order-taking gnomes, who crawl back into their little huvels the other 9 months of the year. If you have $175 and can fog a mirror, you can sell Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans. Something that is VITAL to the well-being, all year round, for the Medicare Beneficiaries. And our industry let's these knuckle-draggers handle something so important to the Greatest Generation that has ever lived.

Why in the he77 should you get paid more? Because the person was born in a certain year? What does that have to do with you? Do you realize there is actually LESS paperwork involved?

We should get paid, as earned, based on how much it costs per month. PERIOD! Do your F$%^ck&*(g jobs. It's like a football player who makes a tackle, then pumps his chest, like a caveman, for 3 minutes.

YOU DID WHAT YOU ARE PAID TO DO! NOW GET BACK OUT THERE AND DO IT AGAIN!

A large part of the FWA in Medicare is non-ethical agents twisting and wriggling people into plans that pay more to the agent, based on the age of the client.

And for those of you leaving MA and PDP for this reason - GOOD. Thinning the herd. You think, maybe, if they didn't pay us this huge up front, first year commission, they would have the money to pay us a fair wage for subsequent years? Putting off immediate gratification for long term gain.

Growth of money 101, for goodness sake.

Can't wait until January, so we can begin talking about Life Insurance, Disability, Long Term Care, and Critical Illness policies, and these postules will wither and scramble away until next October.

:mad:

We have met the enemy, and they is us.

Listen to you! This is why our industry needs to tighten the requirements for selling to one of the most vulnerable segments of our population. Here we are, griping about not getting a "signing bonus" for enrolling those that are aging in.

YOU ARE NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THIS EQUATION!

I am sick and tired of, every October through December, hearing from these order-taking gnomes, who crawl back into their little huvels the other 9 months of the year. If you have $175 and can fog a mirror, you can sell Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans. Something that is VITAL to the well-being, all year round, for the Medicare Beneficiaries. And our industry let's these knuckle-draggers handle something so important to the Greatest Generation that has ever lived.

Why in the he77 should you get paid more? Because the person was born in a certain year? What does that have to do with you? Do you realize there is actually LESS paperwork involved?

We should get paid, as earned, based on how much it costs per month. PERIOD! Do your F$%^ck&*(g jobs. It's like a football player who makes a tackle, then pumps his chest, like a caveman, for 3 minutes.

YOU DID WHAT YOU ARE PAID TO DO! NOW GET BACK OUT THERE AND DO IT AGAIN!

A large part of the FWA in Medicare is non-ethical agents twisting and wriggling people into plans that pay more to the agent, based on the age of the client.

And for those of you leaving MA and PDP for this reason - GOOD. Thinning the herd. You think, maybe, if they didn't pay us this huge up front, first year commission, they would have the money to pay us a fair wage for subsequent years? Putting off immediate gratification for long term gain.

Growth of money 101, for goodness sake.

Can't wait until January, so we can begin talking about Life Insurance, Disability, Long Term Care, and Critical Illness policies, and these postules will wither and scramble away until next October.

:mad:

Really?

If you, for a moment, think that it's just as simple to work with a T65 as it is to work with someone who has been on Medicare for a long time, then you've not written many T65's. Sure, you have may have one extra form when they are 72 and you are replacing something...but they aren't asking, "Now what was Part D again? That's for hospital, right?" This is the very reason so many on here recommend working 68+.

I write both, but mainly write T65. T65 simply takes more time and more marketing money. Plain and simple. But, I like the True-up, and I think it's worth it to be their only Medicare-related agent - so I choose to work in this market segment.

Why should we get paid more? Because that's what the compensation schedule says. That's what we signed on for. And, most of us on here do not like the compensation schedule to change when it is not in our favor. If you say you do, then you are stupid.

At this point, though, when a comp schedule changes, it's America, and we can choose to produce or leave. I'll choose to produce and deal with the changes. It's still good money, and a great business to be in.

We should get paid, as earned, based on how much it costs per month. PERIOD!

I can't tell you how much this pains me, but I agree with you completely.

This industry would have had much less oversight from Humana- I mean CMS - if we were paid as earned instead of giving agents an incentive for a quick buck.

If that means SAI is out of business, so be it!

Rick

Hey Bob, would you be happy if it went to $0 commissions like a lot of places are? Would you still sell them and smile out of the goodness of your heart?

Really?

If you, for a moment, think that it's just as simple to work with a T65 as it is to work with someone who has been on Medicare for a long time, then you've not written many T65's. Sure, you have may have one extra form when they are 72 and you are replacing something...but they aren't asking, "Now what was Part D again? That's for hospital, right?" This is the very reason so many on here recommend working 68+.

I write both, but mainly write T65. T65 simply takes more time and more marketing money. Plain and simple. But, I like the True-up, and I think it's worth it to be their only Medicare-related agent - so I choose to work in this market segment.

Why should we get paid more? Because that's what the compensation schedule says. That's what we signed on for. And, most of us on here do not like the compensation schedule to change when it is not in our favor. If you say you do, then you are stupid.

At this point, though, when a comp schedule changes, it's America, and we can choose to produce or leave. I'll choose to produce and deal with the changes. It's still good money, and a great business to be in.

Another option is to relocate to one of the plan areas where they are still paying full commission :)

I can't tell you how much this pains me, but I agree with you completely.

This industry would have had much less oversight from Humana- I mean CMS - if we were paid as earned instead of giving agents an incentive for a quick buck.

If that means SAI is out of business, so be it!

Rick

I'm all for as-earned as well. But Bob was arguing against true-up. At least that's what I gathered. I may have mis-understood.

I just read my emails from UHC and I am ticked. At myself, really. I should have known something was underfoot with this company when the dr network was being thinned out. or when they didn't have enough enrollment kits to go around for their CIP plans and their HMO.....or when there was no area advertising for their mapd plans, just the AARP med supps. Signs I missed along the highway.

Now they are discontinuing their MAPD plans in GA unless they are chronic-SNP's/ Does that include the duals? Anyone know? Our area mgr is gone....thru the end of the year anyway. (Maybe longer).

I'm still getting my commissions...but you know I will be eyeing for accuracy.
Thinking forward..to next OEP....I'll have a bunch to re-write ...again.

I just read my emails from UHC and I am ticked. At myself, really. I should have known something was underfoot with this company when the dr network was being thinned out. or when they didn't have enough enrollment kits to go around for their CIP plans and their HMO.....or when there was no area advertising for their mapd plans, just the AARP med supps. Signs I missed along the highway.

Now they are discontinuing their MAPD plans in GA unless they are chronic-SNP's/ Does that include the duals? Anyone know? Our area mgr is gone....thru the end of the year anyway. (Maybe longer).

I'm still getting my commissions...but you know I will be eyeing for accuracy.
Thinking forward..to next OEP....I'll have a bunch to re-write ...again.

Good news is you can now sell Silver Script again.;)

Back